The Scarborough Queen’s Parade Tramway Company Limited was created on 4 March 1878, linking Queen’s Parade, on the top of the North Cliff to the Promenade Pier.
A cabin broke loose on 8 August 1878, the opening day, the lift closed for the rest of the year. With accidents every year, pump engine and water supply failures and a further landslip in 1887 stopped the use of the lift.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection. Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-170108-082616050.