Row will not delay opening of new centre

HUNMANBY’S new youth drop-in centre is still set to open this month, despite an ongoing dispute between its founders and the parish council.

As revealed in last week’s Filey and Hunmanby Mercury, Liz Mullin and Lavinia Kirk both stepped down from the role on the parish council after a dispute over the scrapping of an old boiler.

Both women head up the Hunmanby Young People’s Organisation, which is behind the centre’s formation.

Speaking to the Mercury, Ms Mullin said that there has been no movement in the “petty” dispute, which has left the parish council with three vacancies following Eddie Flory’s recent departure on health grounds.

However, she has said the row will not harm the chances of the much-needed centre from opening.

She said in the past week work has been carried out on the drainage at the site, workers have installed a new floor and roof, and that work has been carried out on the electrics.

No opening date has been decided yet, and neither has a name.

Ms Mullin said a decision will be made on both at a meeting on Monday night.

However, the Mercury understands that the centre could be named after Eddie Neesom, who donated £25,000 to the project earlier this year.