Memories of flight legend

0
Have your say

FILEY’S aviation legend Robert Blackburn’s historic feats have been remembered in new photographs showing the pioneer’s flight dynasty begin to take off.

The pictures show Blackburn’s 70ft 100-year-old wooden aircraft hanger as it grew during construction in 1910.

The building, originally used by William Tranmer’s Flying School, was the base for Blackburn’s technical developments ahead of his Monoplane flight on Filey beach in 1911.

The pictures were submitted by G Stuart Leslie of Scalby, near Scarborough.

He said: “The hangar was built on the Flat Cliffs, for Tranmer’s Northern Automobile company and was used for the overhaul and assembly of Bleriot monoplanes until it was joined by Robert Blackburn, who took over the premises to house machines built in Leeds.

“The completed hangar is together with a Bleriot monoplane, which is probably that of JW House, a West Riding friend of Tranmer, of Scalby, who flew from the beach at Filey.

“The aircraft were winched down to the sands via a concrete slipway and parts of that could still be seen a few years ago.”

The hangar - which latterly stood in a Hunmanby engineering yard - has been transferred to the Yorkshire Air Museum, in Elvington, to protect its legacy and links to Britain’s flight history.

After his breakthrough flight in March 2011, Blackburn continued to design aircraft and founded the Blackburn Aircraft company, building the hangar and a bungalow for staff on the cliff between Primrose Valley and Hunmanby Gap.