HUNMANBY can trace its roots to Saxon days, although the area would have been populated by people in the Iron and Neolithic Ages.
The name is derived from "town of the huntsmen".
The symbol of Sir Dennis Bayley, the last Lord at Hunmanby Hall, was the stag, representing the village's hunting traditions.
The local lands were awarded to Gilbert de Gant in 1068 for loyalty to William, the Norman conqueror.
Gilbert helped the new king subdue rebellious inhabitants and the area was given to him for his work in the infamous harrying of the North," which laid waste many areas and led to great hardship.
He started building the parish church of All Saints on the site of what is thought to have been a Saxon church.
All Saints' Church is the centrepiece of the village, with its distinctive archway entrance.
Fishing was also a key aspect of local life. A woods-man called Francis Skilbeck used to throw a javelin as far as he could from Hunmanby Gap beach to mark the fishing territory and salvage rights of the Lord of the Manor.
The village has retained many historic features despite much private development over the past 30 years.
It is situated nine miles from Bridlington and Scarborough, and about three miles from Filey.
A new primary school was built in 1981.
The marketplace known as Cross Hill gave way to a parking area but there is little modern development that has been allowed to encroach on the main street. In 1993, villagers celebrated a day of nostalgia organised by Hunmanby Carnival Committee to celebrate 200 years of life in the area. More than 100 people braved that November's snow to see collections of medals, wartime ration books, photographs and other memorabilia.
The White Swan pub, which used to be the village court house, discovered old court records, some dating back to 1794. One such document revealed that villagers had been fined four shillings for stealing barley from a field.
Old newspapers and parish magazines at the exhibition included a record of Hunmanby Parish Council being established in 1894.
There was an historic poster showing the centre of the village with horses, geese and very few buildings. Models of farm carts and a postman's old candle lamp were also popular.
Organisers showed a 15-minute film of Hunmanby's pageant to mark the Festival of Britain in 1951, and a slide show of village carnivals from the 1960s.
In the late 1990s, accommodation plans were given the go-ahead for the site of the closed Hunmanby Hall private school.