A peaceful scene as boats rest on the mud at low tide in Scarborough harbour.
Pictured left, the Harbour master’s lodgings is all that remains of Scarborough’s lighthouse after the structure took a direct hit during the bombardment by two German battle cruisers on December 16, 1914. The lighthouse was later demolished because it was deemed unsafe.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.
Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-160612-110953050.