Visitors and local residents are pictured enjoying the entertainment by the bandstand in Scarborough’s glorious Clarence Gardens.
The area was drained, stabilised, landscaped and laid out in gardens with footpaths, shelters and a bandstand after the area was purchased by the council in 1886.
In 1890, the eldest son of the Prince of Wales, Albert, Duke of Clarence, formally opened the Royal Albert Drive and the Clarence Gardens.
Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.
Reprints can be ordered with proceeds going to local charities. Telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-170303-151651050.