Nostaligia: Allerston village school

editorial image

Children gather for the photographer outside Allerston village school.

The Public Elementary School and schoolmaster’s house was built by public subscription in 1874, however, there had been a school of some sort which was erected in 1839. The school was closed in 1945 when the children were transferred to Thornton-le-Dale.

Photo reproduced courtesy of the Max Payne collection.

For reprints telephone 0330 1230203 and quote YRN-180405-142238050.