Boro hit by late blows at Farsley

Boro report
Boro report

Scarborough Athletic were hit by a cruel late double blow as they lost out to fellow Evo-Stik North promotion hopefuls Farsley Celtic.

Having led for much of the game through Craig Nelthorpe's strike, goals in the latter stages from Jacob Hazel and James Walshaw turned things on their head.

This allowed Farsley to sneak over the line, ending the visitors' recent up-turn in form.

It was all change heading into the kick off for Boro as Steve Kittrick opted to alter the formation to a 4-3-3, as well as making changes to personnel.

His assistant Chris Bolder slotted into a hugely experienced midfield alongside his brother Adam and Jamie Price. Duran Reynolds moved into the centre of the defence, with Jameel Ible switching to right-back.

This Boro defence found themselves under pressure from the start, with a Farsley attack, led by former Athletic target James Walshaw, looking sharp.

It was Walshaw who drew the first save of the match after 15 minutes, when his free-kick from the edge of the box was held by Jordan Porter.

Referee James Bell was also tested as things began to heat up. He looked to have set his stall out with an early yellow card for Jamie Price, but he then allowed a flurry of challenges to go.

This over-excitement began to take its toll as Dave Merris was left hobbling, it was worse for Farsley though as both Ryan Serrant and Jordan Deacey limped off in the first half.

Boro found themselves creaking under pressure throughout the opening 45 minutes, but keeper Porter managed to get through it without breaking sweat.

After absorbing that threat, Boro finished the first half with a bang.

A lengthy ball upfield was beautifully taken down by Nelthorpe, the attacker then shaped and drove the ball into the back of the home net.

The hosts, who harbour realistic ambitions of promotion, were not going to lie down though, and they came back out fighting when the ref blew for a second 45 minutes.

Farsley crept closer and closer as time ticked on, though that only came after another tremendous Nelthorpe strike.

The wideman met the ball delightfully, but keeper Graeme McKibbin managed to get a hand to it and divert over.

At the other end, Nathan Turner's stooping header bounced just wide, before Porter grasped an effort from Walshaw and a nasty cross that could have gone anywhere.

Boro looked for more stability, with the returning Reynolds being withdrawn and Matty Bloor stepping into a role just in front of the defence.

Things looked to have taken a worrying turn with 20 minutes remaining, when the quick feet of Walshaw were up-ended by Price. The experienced striker stepped up, but rolled a terrible penalty wide of the target.

But Farsley's goal had been coming, and it arrived with 12 minutes remaining.

A nothing ball down the left produced a glorious cross, and all sub Jacob Hazel had to do was nod comfortably home.

Then, disaster struck for a second time, as Boro failed to deal with another ball into the box just seconds later, Walshaw heading home from just five yards out.

Boro tried to roll the dice, bringing on super-sub David Brown, but Farsley shut up shop and it was the hosts who grabbed the three points, when it seemed they would be bound for the coast.

Carl Stewart did almost rescue a point though, as deep into injury time he was played through on goal. The striker beat the keeper with his low prod, but the ball rolled just past the post.