Brave Boro lose out in cup final

Boro report
Boro report

A cruel late double blow denied Scarborough Athletic the silverware in the final of the Doodson Sports Trophy at Farsley on Friday night.

Boro looked to be cruising as the lead with just 10 minutes remaining, but things turned sour in the final moments as Marine produced a miraculous comeback.

Boro were reduced to 10 men when Dean Lisles was given his marching orders, then Marine struck two late goals to pinch the trophy.

Take nothing away from Boro though, they battled for a full 90 minutes with weary legs and produced easily their best performance in some time to push their rivals so close.

The game kicked off to a crescendo of noise from the travelling Boro fans, who created an atmosphere that was reminiscent of brighter days.

This seemed to drive on Boro, who were first to every ball in the opening minutes.

They were still haunted by the recent shot-shy nature though, as opportunities during that period were few and far between.

Ryan Blott had the first chance when he wriggled into a bit of space in the box, but his low shot was held by keeper Matty Cooper.

Boro stopper Matt Glennon then had his first touch of the evening when he grasped onto a strike from Danny Mitchley.

The experienced keeper then let the ball slip from his grasp during the next Marine attack, but Steve Mallory was there to hack clear with Andy Owens poised.

Boro were controlling the tempo though, with much of their attacking play being focused around winger Jamie Forrester.

Hirst fierce shot was palmed away by Cooper on the half-hour and then soon after the Boro man went down in the box under challenge from the Marine keeper, but referee James Mainwaring turned his back.

Boro had a useful opportunity to grab the lead right on half-time when Blott outpaced Cooper to a throughball. Marine's number one made it back in time though to scramble his cross to safety.

Marine came out with a touch more focus when the second half began, forcing a number of corners and creating a handful of half chances.

But on the hour, Boro shifted seamlessly through the gears and planted their foot on the gas.

Forrester turned on the afterburners on the left and whipped in a low cross, Blott allowed the ball to run and Callum Robinson smashed it into the back of the net from eight yards.

Marine weren't done though, as the Merseyside outfit went in search of an immediate equaliser.

Matty Bloor had to put his body on the line to block a Mitchley effort from the edge of the box.

Then Mitchley had a great opportunity to level, as he sprinted clear of the Boro defence, but rolled wide.

With just a handful of minutes left Mitchley again showed a clean pair of heels to the Boro defence and looked set to pull the trigger when Dean Lisles swept away his feet.

Lisles was dismissed and Marine were handed the most fortunate of levellers, when Sean Hessey's free-kick was dropped by Glennon straight onto the body of Warren Bellew, the ball squirming into the net.

Boro tried to hold firm for penalties in the dying seconds and it looked as though they had achieved that feat.

But, with just seconds left on the clock, the ball fell to Mitchley on the edge of the area and the striker curled it past a stranded Glennon to complete a cruel turn-around.