Bridge too far for Boro

Boro match report
Boro match report

Steve Kittrick's tenure as manager of Scarborough Athletic moved away to a drab start as his 10-man side slipped to a 3-0 home defeat against Bamber Bridge.

It was once again all about the errors for Boro, who shut off on three occasions and were duly punished.

Boro did create some highlights though and after the game Kittrick underlined that he is well aware of the task in front of him.

Kittrick put his own stamp on the Boro team for his first game, with on-loan keeper Erik Bukran returning between the sticks, Harry Holden started in the middle of the defence with Dean Lisles, while Fernando Moke slotted in on the left wing.

Boro made much of the early running, as Steve Mallory had a sweet strike from distance saved and Moke's volley on the turn was also held by keeper Lee Dovey.

Frustratingly, Boro's generous nature returned after 26 minutes and Bridge were allowed the most straight forward of goals.

Alistair Waddecar's ball in from the right wasn't dealt with by Paul Robson and Chris Marlow struck home.

There was almost an immediate response from Boro when Ryan Blott was picked out in the box, but the striker flicked his header just over the bar.

Bridge upped their tempo and attacking threat in the closing stages of the half.

The best of their chances fell to Stuart Vasey, whose header was unbelievably saved by Bukran from close range, the Hull man tipping the ball onto the post at full-length.

Having ridden that storm, Boro were hit by another huge blow at the beginning of the second half.

Lisles was penalised from the softest of trips on Marlow just inside the area and Jamie Milligan stepped up to roll home from the spot.

The hosts were handed a great chance to trim the lead just after the hour when the ball fell to Holden on the six yard line.

His firm shot was bound for the top corner, but it struck one of a wall of bodies and sailed out for a corner.

Things then got worse for the hosts when Steve Mallory went in with a firm challenge on a Bamber man. On another day ref Gareth Rhodes would have shown a yellow card, but the over-the-top reaction of the Bridge bench and players forced his hand to brandish a red card.

Boro rallied after this, despite being down by the one man, but Bridge soon took advantage of the situation to kill the game off.

Their third goal came in comical fashion, as Milligan swung in a corner from the right, it bounced past a number of players and nestled in the back of the net.

That was the final action of Kittrick's first 90 minutes in charge of the club, a game that will underline to Boro's new manager that the task in hand may not be as easy as originally thought.