Igiehon stars as Boro slice through Cables

Boro report
Boro report

Scarborough Athletic came crashing into form on Saturday afternoon as they easily swept aside leaders Prescot Cables by a 4-1 scoreline.

Striker Benny Igiehon scored his first two goals for the club to make sure of what was a comfortable victory.

Boro reverted from a 4-3-3 to playing three across the back with wing-backs. That seemed to bring much more solidity to the defence, as well as giving options going forward.

That showed in the first few minutes of the game, with Carl Stewart having an effort saved in the very first minute.

It didn't take Boro long to break their duck, Igiehon netting after just four minutes.

The big striker galloped onto a through ball into the box, dinked over the keeper and smashed it into the net.

Prescot began to wake, with keeper Jordan Porter grabbing Josh Nicholson's drive at the second attempt. He then flapped at a cross from the right, but Ellis Humble was there to clear off the line.

Boro could have added a second after this, but when Igiehon found some space in the box, his low shot was deflected away.

Wing-back Dave Merris then burst onto a ball in the area, but his rising drive didn't threaten the goal.

Prescot then had to clear off their line in the 22nd minute. The lurking Stewart was poised to poke home when the free-kick was whipped into the box.

Boro had further opportunities as the half wore on, the best of these falling to the returning Craig Nelthorpe. He lashed his shot over the bar when he was picked out in space.

The hosts were hit by a blow when the new half got underway, as Eddy Birch limped off to be replaced by Niall Flint.

This didn't affect Boro's momentum and they added a second on the hour.

Adam Bolder floated a delightful free-kick into the box, Igiehon rose well and guided it home with the faintest of touches.

Igiehon almost nipped in for his hat-trick seconds later, but his glancing effort after good work from Flint went just wide.

Boro continued to push on and put the league leaders to the sword.

Nelthorpe should have made it three when he was played through by Adam Bolder, his shot was tipped away by keeper Tom Brocklehurst.

He then atoned for that minutes later when he swung a lovely ball in for Stewart to clinically finish.

Prescot were allowed a controversial path back into the game in the 88th minute as sub Marcus Cussani rolled home. That came after what looked to have been a shove on Merris in the build up.

Igiehon should have lengthened the cushion between the sides seconds later, but he was denied by Jonah O'Reilly's saving tackle.

Boro rubbed more salt into Prescot's wounds in the final seconds, when an awful error at thew back allowed sub David Brown in to polish things off.