Pier power past Uni to book semi-final spot

Saturday League reports
Saturday League reports

West Pier cruised into the quarter-finals of the North Riding FA Saturday Challenge Cup thanks to a 7-2 win at home to University of York on another weekend ruined by the wet weather.

Pier made a fantastic start against a lively Uni side, Steve Sheader and Will Jenkinson both heading in Martin Cooper corners inside the opening 10 minutes.

Billy Logan then tapped home after a goalmouth scramble and Tommy Barker made it 4-0 with a neat turn and finish.

Cooper turned from provider to finisher just after the interval to make sure of the win and Logan finished with aplomb to make it 6-0 and Kris Tate made it a magnificent seven for Andy Spivey’s side.

Uni got a consolation with a thunderbolt from 35 yards and then the visiting keeper’s punt from his own box was carried by the wind and into the Pier net.

Tate, Jenkinson and Sam Garnett were the pick of the Pier players, bossing the midfield in a powerful Pier performance.

Sherburn edged to a 2-1 win in a hard-fought Frank White Trophy quarter-final at Sleights Reserves.

They led late in the first half after a succession of corners culminated with a neat overhead kick from the edge of the penalty area by Harry Walmsley.

Sleights shot straight back however as Ryan Roe’s neat through-ball released the impressive Taylor Humble, who slid an angled shot between keeper Jordan Lee and his right-hand post.

The hosts could have gone in ahead at the interval, too.

First, Mike Dent’s cross turned shot from the right was touched over as it dropped under the crossbar.

Then an inexplicable handball from Carl Sample in the box resulted in a spot-kick, but Spencer Hewison’s effort was superbly saved low by Lee down to his right.

The second half saw Sleights push on and substitute Jim Niel was unlucky to graze the bar with a powerful 20 yard effort after cutting in off the left.

Sherburn won it in the 70th minute, Jordan Wharton’s cross-cum-shot sailed up and over the Sleights keeper Dave Fish inside the far post.

The Sleights man of the match was Humble., while Sherburn player-boss Andy Adamson singled out Matty Whitehall and Rich Malthouse as his star players, with Paul Mills putting another good shift in up front.

In the Scarborough News Saturday League Division Two, Cayton Corinthians Reserves pulled off a shock 5-4 win at title-chasing Scalby, who ended the game with nine men after the second-half sending-offs of Carl Marton and Mark Vasey.

Mikey Hartnett opened the scoring for the hosts after five minutes, but Isaac Sands levelled almost immediately for Cayton after great pressure from Harry Sleep.

Jack Pinder’s penalty sent Cayton 2-1 ahead in the 24th minute, but a Dan Peel double restored the home side’s advantage just before half-time.

Harry Sleep levelled for Corinthians after the interval, but Scalby went down to 10 men after the sending-off of Marton for a strong challenge just after the hour mark,

George Wilson put the 10 men of Scalby ahead but a great header from Sands levelled the scores,.

The dismissal of Vasey for two yellow cards was soon followed by a hat-trick goal for Sands, ending Scalby’s flawless record in the league.

Shaun Scales was named as the man of the match for Scalby after claiming the assists for all four home goals.

Newlands Park Reserves claimed pole position with an outstanding 13-2 win at a muddy Oliver’s Mount against West Pier Reserves.

Stew Bates led the way with four goals, while there were hat-tricks for Aiden Thomas and Sam Chambers.

A Drew McCoubrey double and a Rob Bowman effort completed the Park scoring.

Pier’s scorers were striker Rob Speight and Dave Crawford with a penalty.

Edgehill Reserves also stayed in the title race with a 3-0 success at third-from-bottom Falsgrave Athletic, also at Oliver’s Mount.

Jon Cairns, Tom Scales and Andy Noon were on target for the visitors.

Gav McGough and Mikey Anderson impressed for a hard-working Athletic side.

FC Rosette kept the pressure on Division Three leaders Eastway Sports with their 5-1 win at Commercial.

A cross into the Commercial penalty area caused early confusion and a visiting defender put the ball into his own net, and the lead was soon doubled when a corner from Rosette’s Louis Palmer was fired into his own net by Commercial’s Daz Palmer - Louis’ father.

The hosts got themselves back into the game with a cracking long-range strike from Ryan Somers, but an Al Wray penalty restored the visitors’ two-goal lead.

Rosette sealed the win after half-time thanks to a double from Robin Dixon.

Striker Dixon and midfield duo Wray and Martin Russell all impressed for the victors.

Left-back Lewis Sutherland was the man of the match for Luke Jenkinson’s team.

Westover Wasps Reserves claimed a fine 3-1 home win against third-from-bottom Scalby Reserves.

The visitors opened the scoring on 10 minutes when Jez Clifford set up Nick David to finish confidently.

Ian Heritage levelled before half-time and second-half goals from Chris Hannam and man of the match Sam Turner secured the three points for Wasps.

Rich Brice had an impressive game in midfield for Scalby, while centre-back Gareth Olney did well in his first game for a year and teenager Ryan Furnell took the eye as a sub - playing in the same team as his dad Craig.