Flint sparks late Boro win

Boro news
Boro news

Scarborough Athletic's relegation worries were ended on Saturday when they won 2-1 at home to Ossett Town.

A last-gasp Niall Flint header gave Boro all the points, moving them out of reach of second-to-bottom Harrogate Railway.

The result was Boro's fifth league win in six outings and also pleased a vociferous Easter crowd, who created a superb atmosphere throughout a hard-fought 90 minutes of football.

It was never going to be easy for Boro, who were forced into a number of changes with Tom Corner on his way to Tadcaster, keeper Nick Draper struggling with a calf injury and Ryan Blott carrying an ankle knock.

Boss Steve Kittrick was boosted by the addition of the experienced Jamie Price, who arrived days earlier from Bradford Park Avenue.

The game was always likely to have a touch of bite, as Ossett boasted a trio of former Boro players in their ranks, namely Steve Ridley, Alex Peterson and David Brown.

It took a while to warm up, with a number of half-opportunities for both sides.

Price worked wonders on the right to create a chance for Callum Robinson, but his drive was comfortably held by Chris Backhouse.

Ridley then danced his way through challenges into the Boro area, but his shot hit the side netting.

After more toing and froing, Boro took the lead with 24 minutes on the clock.

Steve Mallory floated a free-kick goalwards from 45 yards out, keeper Backhouse flapped horrifically and pushed it into the back of the net.

That was the last attack Boro managed in a first half with the wind at their backs. They now had to prepare for 45 minutes with the gusting breeze in their faces.

Kittrick and Chris Bolder were forced to make a switch after 52 minutes when Matty Bloor limped off to be replaced by Eddy Birch.

Seconds later, Robinson was freed up to run on the Ossett stopper, but his dink bounced past the visitors' post.

There is always the danger that a former players will come back to haunt and that almost happened when Ridley's free-kick swerved just off target.

Ossett began to turn up the heat in a game that was becoming spicier by the minute.

Peterson's header was blocked on the line by Mallory, then Skelton saved well from Ossett sub Anthony Mackie.

Boro's resolve finally broke in the 74th minute when Nick Wood met a corner from the right and powered his header home.

The momentum swung back in Boro's favour 60 seconds later. Reece Farnhill was given a straight red card for a late one on Lisles, a foul that started a large scuffle.

When the dust settled, things began to gather pace for a frenetic final few minutes.

Ridley whipped another free-kick just wide, before a moment of brilliance from Price gave Boro their grand-stand finish.

Price delivered a delightful ball into the box and Flint stooped to give Backhouse no chance.

Ossett huffed and puffed as injury-time ticked on towards the 98th minute, but Boro stood firm for another workmanlike win.