Ace Scales weighs in with treble for Turks

CUP ACE ...  Cayton's hat-trick hero Harry Holden. 120757h. Picture Kevin Allen. 19/02/12.
CUP ACE ... Cayton's hat-trick hero Harry Holden. 120757h. Picture Kevin Allen. 19/02/12.
Share this article

TURKS Head booked their place in the semi-finals of the McCain Cup with a 6-4 win at home to fellow third division promotion-chasers Cayton Corinthians.

Jon Cairns opened the scoring for the hosts and an own goal doubled their advantage.

Left-sided midfielder Harry Holden smashed in a brace of goals to level the scores, with Michael Dennis putting Cayton in front.

Tom Scales scored on the stroke of half-time to complete a thrilling first half and leave the scores at 3-3.

With the first attack of the second half, Jordan Aitkens restored the hosts’ lead.

Scales’ second goal made it 5-3, but Holden completed his hat-trick to keep Cayton in the cup-tie.

The visitors then earned a penalty, but they missed the chance to level whan Dennis’ spot-kick was saved, Turks Head left-back Lee Donaldson also clearing the rebound off the goal-line.

Scales earned his hat-trick with Turks’ sixth goal, securing the home side’s place in the semis.

Donaldson earned the man-of-the-match award for the hosts, while Holden and centre-back Rennison shone for Cayton.

Substitute keeper Carl Marton proved to be the hero in itis itis’ penalty shoot-out win at third division leaders West Pier Reserves.

Neither side managed to break through in the opening 45 minutes, and 10 minutes into the second half, visiting keeper Tom Hicks was sent off for a professional foul, with Marton coming on to replace him in goal.

Despite a long spell of Pier pressure, itis itis defended well with Marton pulling off some top saves to keep a clean sheet for the remainder of normal time and the extra 30 minutes.

Both teams converted all their first four spot-kicks, but man of the match Marton saved the final Pier effort and Phil Meads blasted home the fifth and final penalty to send the visitors through to the final four.

The other successful itis itis penalty-takers were brothers Paul and Mark Oldroyd, Jono Lorains and Tom Clark.

Victoria Reserves surged to an 8-1 home win against second division Sun Inn.

Tom Allen banged in a first-half hat-trick against his old team to put Victoria in the driving seat at half-time.

Danny Collins came on at half-time and smacked in four goals, with Adam Martin completing the scoring for the hosts.

Carl Hepples had netted Sun’s only goal to pull it back to 5-1.

Billy Johnson, Victoria’s first-team boss, who was watching the game, said: “All the lads played superbly, with Tom the best of the lot against his old team.

“This was a big result for them and they should all be proud of their efforts.”

Third division Commercial set up a quarter-final clash with Manor after winning 3-0 at home to division two side Pirates.

The game started with a major blow for the hosts, as their striker Tim Boorer limped off with a knee injury, Nick Palmer stepping into the breach.

Palmer put Commercial ahead in the 20th minute with a header from a Mike Clark fre-kick.

Palmer made it 2-0 midway through the second half and a late strike from fellow sub Matty Moorhouse confirmed the win.

Midfielder Stu Lincoln, keeper Ash Buck and Palmer all shone for the victors.