Boro secure the derby bragging rights.

Share this article

Scarborough Athletic maintained their progress towards the new Evo-Stik North season with a solid 3-1 success against landlords Bridlington Town.

Boro may not have been at their best for the full 90 minutes, but the result of the fixture was never in doubt.

Bridlington Town's Duka has his shot blocked by Scarborough Athletic's Bolder

Bridlington Town's Duka has his shot blocked by Scarborough Athletic's Bolder

Rudy Funk’s men just had too much quality for their rivals, with the pace and energy of Jordan Thewlis making the difference.

Wideman Thewlis struck twice in the closing stages to steer Boro clear of Gary Allanson’s lively and youthful Brid side.

Both teams made a quiet start to the game, with the blood and thunder of previous derbies seemingly not in the forecast.

That would change as things progressed, with the match official struggling to keep his cards in his pocket.

Boro soon burst into life with eight minutes plaeyed when Ryan Williams swung a free-kick into the box, Gary Bradshaw dinked the ball up and Chris Bolder headed home.

Funk’s men were fortunate the stay in control after this as Brid came charging back.

Danny Norton hit the bar with a shot from the edge of the box and then Duka rattled the post with a superb free-kick.

Boro began to up their game as the half went on though, with Bradshaw seeing a shot saved and then Thewlis darted clear on the left and cut the ball back for Jimmy Beadle, but his pass was just behind the on-running midfielder.

A worrying spell came over Boro as the second half began. Their focus seemed to vanish and Brid took advantage.

Keeper Jason White did well to keep out Duka’s effort, and then a total mix-up at the back allowed Brid in for the leveller.

Sub Jamie Reeson was handed too much space in the box and he lifted home from a tight angle.

The tackles soon began to fly in, with Brid’s Tom Fleming and Duka, as well as Boro’s Ryan Blott and Beadle testing the ref’s resolve.

With Brid starting to take the battle by the scruff of the neck, the Boro bench opted for a change of tactics by switching from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3.

This reaped immediate benefits as Thewlis was freed up on the right hand side.

Thewlis claimed the ball after a quick free-kick and bent it just wide. Then he broke clear into the box but scuffed his shot straight at the keeper.

It was third time lucky for Thewlis when Boro worked a quickly-taken corner into the box and the former Brigg man made no mistake.

Boro then added a third in double quick time, with Thewlis rolling a neat effort into the bottom corner after more good approach play.

Boro could have rubbed more salt into Brid’s derby wounds, but Williams was unlucky on two occasions, Thewlis was denied his hat-trick and the Brid keeper clung on to Steve Ridley’s strike in the last minute.

As much as Boro deserved to win the fixture, any further goals may have been harsh on the young Brid side who did boss Allanson proud.