Cairns bags brace in Cayton cup victory

Cayton under-12s
Cayton under-12s

Cayton under-12s cruised to a 4-0 win against Seamer in their cup encounter played on the 3G pitch at the University Campus on Filey Road.

The game started at a high tempo with both sides creating plenty of chances.

Seamer under-12s

Seamer under-12s

Tom Hutchinson opened the scoring with a sweetly-struck volley and then Corinthians took charge of the game winning the battle in midfield.

Substitute Hamish Steel was a threat down the Cayton right flank and he created openings for Marshall Nock and Harry Groombridge.

The second goal came from a Liam Eyre through-ball with Mike Cairns drilling home

Cayton started after half-time playing some lovely passing football with good movement from Nock and Cairns keeping the Seamer defenders busy.

Groombridge made it 3-0 with a neat finish giving the keeper no chance from six yards.

Owen Mansell, Jacub Jankowski and keeper Cody Brook kept it tight in the Cayton defence.

Finley Wilson then fed in Cairns, who smashed home from 12 yards to make it four.

Also impressive for Cayton were Flynn Moss and Solomon Teasdale in a superb team performance.

Kirkbymoorside under-12s came out 2-1 winners in a close game against Scalby.

Scalby had most of the early chances and took the lead halfway through the first half, Eric Hall firing high into the net from a corner.

In the second half, Kirkby came back into it with the wind at their backs.

They levelled with a fortunate own goal after about five minutes of the second period as the home defence allowed a corner to pass through a crowded penalty area.

Both sides had chances, with Hall hitting the post and the side netting, but it was Kirkby who got the winner and then managed to hold out.

Scalby’s man of the match was full-back Robert Hall after excellent all round performance in defence.

Scarborough Athletic under-14s entertained Hull Kingston Tigers in their Hull Boys Sunday Football League fixture at Flixton.

Athletic started brightly with the wind at their backs and were soon on the front foot, Zameze Deans winning the ball in midfield and feeding George Walmsley, the striker beating his man but firing into the side netting.

Walmsley didn’t have to wait long for another chance and on 13 minutes when Jaydan Hindle fed him in, he made no mistake giving the keeper no chance from just inside the box to put Boro 1-0 up.

Though most of the game was being played in the Tigers half, a rare counter-attack caught Athletic out, fortunately George Bramham was alert enough to make a key interception and clear the ball as the Tigers striker was about to pull the trigger from close range.

Jake Baldwin then had to produce a similar challenge shortly afterwards to keep the Tigers at bay.

On 25 minutes Athletic doubled their lead when a well delivered Deans corner caused chaos in the six-yard-box and skipper Brad Smith was quickest to react firing in from close range.

Confidence was now flowing and shots were raining down on the Tigers goal, Tom Wright and Jaydan Hindle going close with volleyed efforts.

Nathan Parker had one effort that unluckily cannoned down the wrong side of the line off the crossbar from 10 yards out with a rasping drive.

As the half expired another delightful footballing move ended with Kane Randerson-Wray striking a first-time shot against the foot of the Tigers post, the ball ricocheting along the line and into the arms of the grateful keeper.

The Athletic boys knew they were still in a game as with the wind behind them, the Tigers would be a different proposition altogether in the second half.

It was Athletic though who increased their lead five minutes after the break when Hindle and Dan Simpson pounced on some defensive dithering to free Walmsley, who slotted in his second to hand Boro a commanding 3-0 lead.

The game turned in the space of three minutes when Athletic didn’t clear their lines from a corner and Tigers pulled one back.

Two minutes later it was 3-2 and the game was back in the balance.

The Tigers were sensing blood, but not for the first time this season the Athletic boys had to dig deep.

Cameron Anderson in the Athletic goal showed good handling skills to deal with several balls into the box.

In front of him the back four were well marshalled by Finlay Marsh.

With four minutes remaining Tom Wright won the ball on halfway and danced past three challenges before playing an accurate through-ball for Harry Coldbeck to run onto and secure the points slotting neatly past the diving Tigers keeper for 4-2.

Heslerton under-11s travelled to Phoenix Colts.

Fantastic goals from Ethan Orange, Billy Keough and Hayden Williamson put the visitors ahead at half-time.

Phoenix fought back and despite Heslerton’s strong defence, produced a string of goals to secure victory.

Man of the match went to defender Jak Dixon for his continuous battling and strong challenges.

Heslerton are also looking for new under-10 players, contact Ali Horton by email on or on 07779721195.

Heslerton under-nines hosted Scholes Park Raiders.

First-half goals from man of the match Jake Allardice and Matt Moss saw Heslerton take the lead, Raiders pulled one back before Myles Johnson scored the winner.

In a blustery second game Park scored three first-half goals before Charlie Swiers pulled one back.

With the wind advantage in the second half another goal from Swiers and a fine finish from Ryan Sellers levelled.

Man of the match went to Myles Johnson.

Heslerton under-sevens hosted Holt in a tight game.

Dylan Oxendale pulled the Hedgehogs level before the break but Holt ran out winners, with Luke Allardice the hosts’ man of the match.

The second game was another tight affair, Holt taking the spoils despite a Jack McDougall goal, with John Mathers the Heslerton star man.

Heslerton under-eights Buccaneers hit top form at Whitby Fishermen.

After an early Fishermen goal, Matthew Banister equalised for the visitors and a hat-trick from Warren Stanton gave Heslerton a win.

William Leeson and William Sims shone in defence, and Oliver Sim was terrific in goal, but man of the match went to Sammy Taylor-Barber.

The second game ended all square with Stanton scoring twice and Leeson was named the star man.