Five-star Town set up title showdown

editorial image

Filey Town’s first-half five-goal salvo helped them to a 5-1 home win against Eastfield on Monday night to set up a potential title decider at home to leaders West Pier on Wednesday evening.

Division one

Filey Town 5 (L Cappleman, Johnson, Tomlinson, L Barnes, S Dickens) Eastfield 1

After surviving a couple of early scares, Filey kept their title challenge on track thanks to a burst of five goals in 30 first-half minutes.

Town now host leaders West Pier, who are now only a point ahead of the Clarence Drive club, on Wednesday night in a potential title decider, although both sides still have important league games to play after the midweek encounter.

Eastfield made the early running, the visitors hitting the crossbar with a shot and then Drew McCoubrey’s shot struck the post when he maybe should have scored, both efforts coming in the first five minutes.

This seemed to spark Filey into action and they opened the scoring through central midfielder Lee Cappleman, veteran defender Les Johnson adding a second shortly afterwards.

Cappleman’s pass then set winger Ricky Tomlinson free, and the powerful wideman embarked upon a 40-yard run and stroked his shot past the Eastfield keeper.

A Liam Barnes header made it 4-0 and Stu Dickens sealed the win just before half-time.

Eastfield pulled a goal back after the interval, but they cold well have had another two - though Filey also had three good scoring chances.

Town boss Dave Brannan said: “I was delighted with this win as Eastfield are a very strong side, they started so well we could easily have been 2-0 down after just five minutes.

“It is now set up nicely for Wednesday’s home game with Pier, but I think there may well be other twists and turns, as Pier have to play Newlands and Eastfield after us so it could go down to the wire.

“Lee Cappleman was our man of the match as he had a great game in midfield, but he was pushed close by Lalan Flynn, who again impressed after stepping up from the reserves.”

Edgehill 4 (A Coulson 2, Warnett, Cooper) Ryedale SC 1

Edgehill’s fine run continued with this comfortable win against Ryedale at Oliver’s Mount.

Alec Coulson opened the scoring after just five minutes, finishing neatly after a superb cross from defender Paul Watson.

Coulson added a second with a piece of great skill to break through and send the keeper the wrong way before firing home his shot.

Ten minutes before half-time the visitors pulled a goal back through a header from a long throw.

The hosts, who only had 11 players and no subs, secured the points after the break with goals from Phil Warnett and Liam Cooper.

Young central midfielders Tyler Richardson and Elliot Sill shared the man-of-the-match award, but boss Steve Clegg reserved a special mention for second-team player Nigel Pearson, who stepped up from the reserves to play in goal and then at left-back later on when a defender picked up an injury.

Newlands 5 (Delve 3, Moon, og) Fishburn Park 0

Newlands secured a solid home win thanks to a Luke Delve hat-trick.

Stefan Moon also netted for the hosts, with an own goal completing the win for the home side.

Boss Shaun Mancrief said: “This was a good team effort after the Hunmanby disappointment. Man of the match was Stefan Moon, while Delve and Ben Luntley also played well.”

Hunmanby United 4 (Dobson 2, Jenkinson, og) Ayton 3

A double from Cameron Dobson helped United to another fine win as they continue to pull away from the foot of the table.

Martyn Jenkinson also netted for United, with an own goal helping the hosts edge past their high-flying rivals.

Division two

Edgehill Reserves 1 (Woolford) Rillington Athletic 1

Jonathan Woolford’s goal helped a severely depleted Edgehill second string earn a point at home to lowly Rillington.

The villagers now seem likely to finish outside the relegation places unless Cayton managed to stun Filey Town Reserves in their final two games.

Division three

West Pier Reserves 5 (Speight 3, M Barker, Hansell og) Scalby Res 1 (Arnott)

Pier moved into second spot with this win in a game switched to Carr Lane, but they now need rivals Sleights to slip up in their last game of the season if they are to make the move into the second division.

Sleights will gain promotion as runners-up if they claim a home win againstCayton Corinthians Reserves.

Pier gave themselves a fighting chance with a determined display at Scalby, the villagers opening the scoring through Daz Arnott after good play from Carl Marton.

Two Rob Speight goals made it 2-1 to Pier at half-time.

Scalby paid the price for a sloppy second half, Speight completing his hat-trick and Karl Hansell’s own goal making it 4-1 to Pier.

Mikey Barker got the fifth for Pier, he got in behind the Scalby defence and lobbed keeper Tom Manson.

Sam Garnett shone in midfield for the victors, while Hansell and Jake Scutt impressed for Daniel Gregory’s team

Ayton Reserves 3 (Prentice, Duggan, Vincent) Cayton Corinthians Reserves 0

Ayton’s strong end of season run was capped by a home victory against a strong Cayton side.

On 15 minutes, Niall Prentice lobbed Ross Gill in the Cayton goal with a cross from 40 yards out,this was made all the sweeter for the hosts as Gill is the club’s Sunday League keeper.

Five minutes later Kieran Friett played TJ Duggan through and he finished well from just inside the penalty area.

Just after half-time Matt Vincent claimed a goalpoacher’s goal from close range.

Tyson Stubbings was man of the match, impressing in central midfield as opposed to his usual position of left midfield.