Junior Cup: Flixton keeper stars in victory

Edgehill Reseves sponsored by Coffee cup Cafe.Front Manager Martin Cappleman,with Cafe Manager Martin Drake.Picture Richard Ponter
Edgehill Reseves sponsored by Coffee cup Cafe.Front Manager Martin Cappleman,with Cafe Manager Martin Drake.Picture Richard Ponter
Share this article

Flixton goalkeeper Tom Hicks was the shoot-out hero in his team’s Scarborough & District FA Junior Cup (sponsored by The Jones Partnership, Pickering) second round clash at Beckett League division one side Sinnington, with Filey Town Reserves, Edgehill Reserves and Athletico2B also booking their spot in the quarter-finals.

Sinnington 2 Flixton 2 (Skelton, Hughes), Flixton win 4-3 on penalties.

Keeper Tom Hicks was the star as Flixton pulled off a fine cup win at Beckett League title-chasers Sinnington after a penalty shoot-out.

The visitors opened the scoring after just five minutes when Keith Skelton’s 20-yard shot caught out the home keeper after he had made an error in clearing.

After the interval, a stunning volley brought the scores level, but Skelton was in the thick of it again to set up sub James Hughes to fire the ball home with almost his first touch.

Fifteen minutes from time the Sinners levelled once again and despite Flixton having a couple of clear-cut late chances the scores remained the same so the match went to a penalty shoot-out.

Rich Garton, man of the match Paul Shepherd - who excelled at centre-back, and Skelton netted from the spot and the hosts also converted three to leave it at 3-3. Up stepped keeper Hicks and he hammered home his spot-kick and then saved the hosts’ effort to book a spot in the final eight for Mick Stephenson’s team.

Filey Town Reserves 2 (Wedge, Cornish) Malton & Norton Reserves 2, Filey Town Res win 4-1 on penalties

Jay Taylor’s side survived a late rally from the visitors to net a shoot-out success.

After a goalless first half, despite the home side dominating proceedings, Town went ahead through a cracking 25-yard shot from central midfielder Dave Wedge, who had been pushed up from centre-half.

Sub Jamie Cornish doubled the home side’s lead with a seven-yard strike, and Town looked to be easing into the quarter-finals.

But Malton & Norton had other ideas, and scored twice in as many minutes around the 70-minute mark to take the game into penalties.

The shoot-out was as one-sided as most of the game was, with Jordan Powell, Wedge and Cornish converting the hosts’ first three spot-kicks, only one of Malton & Norton’s penalty-takers being successful, keeper Shane Green pulling off two superb saves for Filey.

Lee Calden then smashed home the fourth penalty to secure the victory.

Goldsborough United 1 Athletico2B 3 (Swift 2, Goodwin)

The visitors battled their way to victory at the Eskvale League side despite playing most of the second half with only 10 men after stand-in keeper Dan Sheader had been dismissed.

Sheader, playing in place of the unavailable Sean Pinder, was in inspired form for the first hour, and he helped keep the scores level until the hour mark when he saw red for handling the ball outside the area.

Rather than sitting back with one less player, this seemed to spark the visitors into life in this game which was played at the impressive Lythe complex near Whitby.

Nick David’s cross was headed in by Sam Swift to put Athletico ahead, then Swift’s superb solo run and shot made it 2-0.

The home side were awarded a penalty but missed their chance, although they soon managed a goal to liven up the finale of this cup-tie.

The 10 men of Athletico2B secured the win when Nick David’s clearance was collected by Sean Goodwin, who - from inside his own half - launched a drive into the empty net, the home keeper having charged upfield for a corner in an attempt to grab a late leveller.

Sheader and centre-back Sean Dodson were the star men for Athletico2B.

Edgehill Reserves 5 Sleights 3 (McCarthy, Watson, Smith pen)

Edgehill booked their spot in the last eight with this fine win against third division leaders Sleights.

The hosts charged into a three-goal lead by half-time, although goals from Marc McCarthy and Ben Watson, as well as an Ian Smith penalty made it a livelier second half.

FC Rosette 3 (Amponsah, Blackburn, Scott) Gillamoor 3, Gillamoor win 6-5 on penalties

Despite twice being ahead, Rosette ended up losing out on penalties in this thrilling clash with Beckett League side Gillamoor.

Striker Prince Amponsah put the Newby side ahead, racing clear of the Gills defence and lobbing over the keeper.

The visitors levelled through a scrappy goal, but two minutes before the half-time break Tommy Blackburn shot home a fierce effort to restore Rosette’s lead.

Gillamoor charged into a 3-2 lead thanks to two well-taken goals, but the home side took the game to a penalty shoot-out thanks to an 85th-minute effort from Liam Scott.

After a marathon penalty shoot-out, it was the unfortunate sub Liam Bucham who blazed his effort over the bar to send Gillamoor into the last eight.

Centre-back Karim Benfaied was named as the Rosette man of the match.

Westover Wasps Reserves 1 (Hope) Old Malton St Mary’s Reserves 6

Third division Westover put up a brave fight against York League side Old Malton, the scoreline flattering the visitors.

Old Malton took an early lead, but Sean Hope’s towering header brought the scores level.

The York League outfit struck three more times in the first half, but Westover were very unlucky as they had two shots cleared off the line, and several fine saves from the visiting keeper managed to maintain their advantage.

The same pattern continued after the break, with the home side creating many chances but the Old Malton side hung on and scored two late goals to ease them into the quarter-finals.

Neil Castleton was the Westover man of the match, the central midfielder having two shots cleared off the line.

Snainton 1 (L Watson) Brotton RA 6

Leigh Watson’s second-half effort was the only highlight of the match for Dan I’Anson’s village team, who have now bowed out of all their cup competitions.

The home side’s chances were not helped when keeper Jamie Sanderson was forced to limp off with a groiin injury with the score at 2-1 to the Eskvale League team.

Cayton Cors Res 2 (Hanson 2) Ryedale SC Res 8

A double from Zak Hanson failed to save a youthful Cayton Reserves side from a heavy defeat at home to Beckett League division two leaders Ryedale Reserves.

The result was never in doubt as Shaun Hornby’s free-scoring Ryedale team took charge, steaming into a 4-0 lead before Hanson’s first goal - a superb solo effort.

The home side were 7-1 down by the time Hanson scored his second, thanks to some fine skills and a drilled finish.

Gus Ferra was the top player for Neil Kirby’s team for another strong show in midfield.