JUNIOR FOOTBALL: Eight-man Park claim victory

Scholes Park Raides ahead of their minor league clash with Scalby,@ Carr Lane Scalby 27-09-15
Scholes Park Raides ahead of their minor league clash with Scalby,@ Carr Lane Scalby 27-09-15

Scholes Park Raiders under-13s coasted to an 11-0 Scarborough Minor League victory at Eastfield Sports, despite only having eight players.

This win secured runners-up spot for the Raiders in their final league match.

Full-back Bradley Walton opened the scoring with a 20-yarder into the bottom corner, then Aidan Crawford hit three before half-time thanks to some fine finishing, making it 4-0 at the interval.

After the break, Park man of the match Jackson Scarlett curled a shot into the top corner to make it five.

Adrian Pastuszak, Will Whiteside and Bradley Hollingsworth also found the back of the net and Crawford grabbed another three to completed a fine performance.

Coach Dave Crawford said: “Playing the full game with only eight and winning 11-0 was credit to the lads for the hardw ork every single player put in.”

Ayton Athletic under-14s played at Kirkbymoorside in a double-header game to relieve the backlog of fixtures.

The late ground change was due to Ayton’s waterlogged Wilson’s Lane pitch.

In a fiery meeting both teams fought for dominance, but Ayton’s back three and midfield soon began pressing the Moorsiders into their own half with sterling work from injured captain Dak Cappleman and Taylor Moulds.

The latter then played in Sam Farley, who unselfishly squared the ball to PJ Drayton to blast over from six yards.

Drayton returned the favour five minutes later for Farley to slot home after beating the two Kirkbymoorside central defenders.

The hosts fought back, but left-back Kieron Coulson played with maturity.

Ayton took charge in the second half, with some fine defensive work, and moving the ball neatly upfield only to be denied by an excellent home keeper, the visitors earning a 1-0 victory.

In the second game Kirkby came out fighting, testing the Ayton back three on numerous occasions, but Coulson, Ethan Forbes and Andy Burnett held strong, the latter moving the ball down the flanks in impressive style.

Again Moulds played in Farley, who slotted home his second of the day to relieve the Kirkby pressure.

Farley again broke through cannoning a shot from 20 yards only to be denied by the upright.

Ayton pressed, with good work down the left from Luke Calvert and Joe Ecclestone, a wonderful cross from Adam Dennis was fumbled by the unfortunate keeper, the loose ball dropping to Ayton new boy Ruheb Miah, who chipped the stranded keeper to open his account.

Kirkby were unlucky not to score in the final moments of the fixture, with a fantastic triple save from keeper Munday.

Ayton’s man of the match went to Coulson for an excellent defensive performance.

Scholes Park Raiders under-16s claimed a superb 9-4 home win against Seamer.

The Raiders started this game with great pace and neat football, they moved ahead after four minutes.

The hosts won a corner, Ryan Furnell swung the ball in and it came out to Kieran Wade who slotted into the net from eight yards out.

Within five minutes it was 2-0, Raiders were awarded a free-kick 22 yards out and Tom Johnson rifled his shot in.

After the break Raiders came straight out of the blocks and Wade got his second of the game.

The hosts didn’t let up and Furnell whipped in a great corner for Liam Jones to rise and head home to make it 4-0.

Seamer then hit back with two goals, but Raiders soon woke up and great pressure saw Oliver Dixon smash in a quickfire hat-trick.

Seamer nicked another goal before Wade completed his treble to make it 8-3.

The visitors broke free again and with from a one-on-one they slotted past the advancing keeper.

But with minutes left, Dixon got through on goal and rounded the keeper to score his fourth to make it 9-4.

Raiders manager Craig Furnell said: “I was pleased with the performance of everyone of my players.”

Scarborough Athletic Under-13s sunk Cottingham Rangers Sharks 4-2.

Boro got the ball rolling as Brandyn Cooper picked up the ball from 30 yards, running from midfield past three Sharks defenders to fire in and give the Seadogs the lead.

Max McNiven added a second with a composed finish after he was put through one-on-one.

Cottingham pulled a goal back, but Athletic restored the two-goal lead shortly into the second half.

Scarborough began to tire as the game went on, and Cottingham got a goal back to set up a nervy last 20 minutes.

But Athletic found another gear and netted a crucial fourth goal when a Cooper cross was turned in by Harrie Leighton.

Boro manager Sean Leighton praised all his players for a hard-working display.

Champions Cayton Corinthians under-12s completed their league campaign unbeaten with a 3-2 win at Ayton thanks to goals from Tom Hutchinson, Marshall Nock and Mattie Roberts

Cayton now go into two cup finals in fine fettle.

Manager John Groombridge added: “These lads are getting their rewards for all their hard work and commitment.

“I am proud of every single one of them, they are a cracking group of lads.”