More violent scenes mar England v Russia clash at Euro 2016

England ahead - until the dying minutes.
England ahead - until the dying minutes.

Russia are facing serious UEFA sanctions after their fans appeared to attack England supporters at the end of Saturday's Euro 2016 clash.

Sickening scenes marred the build-up to the Group B clash, with bottles, chairs and fists thrown during three days of trouble involving a mixture of English, Russian and French fans in Marseille.

England draw

England draw

There appeared a calmer atmosphere inside the Stade Velodrome, only for mass clashes to overshadow an entertaining 1-1 draw in which Vasili Berezutsky's late header cancelled out an Eric Dier free-kick.

After flares and a firecracker were let off in the closing minutes - both items are banned from ground - Russian fans appeared to attack English supporters, breaking through barriers in the South Stand.

Those under attack were seen running for safety.

Press Association Sport understands Russia face sanctions for the disorder and flares, although the exact details will depend on when the UEFA reports are received.

Following the days of trouble, England's head of media relations Mark Whittle read a statement in the post-press conference.

"We regret the trouble in Marseille today," he said. "The FA is very disappointed about the terrible scenes of disorder and of course condemns such behaviour.

"It is now in the hands of the relevant authorities to identify those involved in trouble and deal with them appropriately and quickly.

"At this time the FA urges England supporters to act in a respectful manner and support England in the right way."

Before the match, as many as 20 England fans were injured, with reportedly several seriously hurt, in bloody clashes between rival fans around the Old Port area.

French police used a water cannon and tear gas on rioters as fist fights and bottle throwing broke out - incidents condemned strongly before kick-off by UEFA

"People engaging in such violent acts have no place in football," European football's governing body said in a statement.

"UEFA can only take disciplinary action for incidents which happen within the stadium perimeter."

Russia striker Artem Dzyuba made a point of thanking Russian fans after the match.

That was a curious and potentially provocative stance given the fact he cannot have failed to see flares or heard the firecracker, even if later events escaped his attention.

"I thank all our fans. It was a really warm atmosphere tonight," he told UEFA.

"We used everything here to equalise and this is also down to them."

Russian manager Leonid Slutsky and England counterpart Roy Hodgson were was asked for their thoughts on the disturbances but both felt unable to offer substantial comment.

"We were focused on the game, so I'm not really up to speed with what's been going on outside the stadium," said Slutsky.

"But, clearly, that (violence) is not good to go hand in hand with football."

Hodgson, before deferring to Whittle for the official association statement, said: "Those matters are FA matters and not football coaching matters, but we weren't particularly aware of them and they didn't affect our preparations or performance."

Rebekah Vardy, the new wife of England striker Jamie, had earlier tweeted angrily about the treatment of fans prior to the match.

"That has to be up there with the worst experience EVER at an away game! Teargassed for no reason, caged and treated like animals! Shocking!" she posted.

"I witnessed this with my own eyes! I can't comment on things I didn't see but what I got caught up in was horrific and uncalled for!

"And this happened before the game even kicked off!"

Russian sports minister Vitaly Mutko attempted to downplay the incidents inside Stade Velodrome and was quoted by Russia Today as saying: "There was no clash...that's being exaggerated, in fact everything is fine here.

"When the match ended, there was no barrier between the fans. The British were upset, of course, but it all quickly dissolved.

"Such matches should be organized properly. It is necessary to separate the fans. The bad thing is that there were firecrackers and flares."

* England manager Roy Hodgson lamented Russia's stoppage-time equaliser as Eric Dier's brilliant free-kick failed to deliver victory in their Euro 2016 opener in Marseille.

Dier's powerful top-corner effort looked like it would be enough to seal all three points after 73 minutes, a deserved outcome for what was at times a dominant display, but Vasili Berezutsky's late looping header made it 1-1 to thwart England at the death.

The Three Lions have now failed to win any of their nine European Championship curtain-raisers and Hodgson was struggling to accept his side's fate at the Stade Velodrome.

"To say we're bitterly disappointed would be an understatement," he said.

"To get that close to a victory, which would have been deserved, then to lose it with one minute of injury time to go, it's a tough pill to swallow.

"But that's football. One doesn't have a divine right to win any game. It doesn't make it any easier for me to accept.

"But it won't take us long to get over it. When we analyse the game, and start preparing for the next game, there'll be a lot of things from tonight's game that we'll want to take forward and hopefully we'll be able to put the memory of that last-minute goal behind us."

The roller coaster nature of the evening was even more pronounced for Dier.

Remarkably the 22-year-old was making a first competitive appearance for his country and was on the verge of a perfect day when he hammered home from the edge of the area.

He then joined his team-mates in watching helplessly as victory slipped through England's fingers, coming down to earth with the cruellest of bumps.

"Our emotions went from a high to a low pretty quickly," he admitted.

"Obviously it's disappointing because we were so close to an important and big win in our first game.

"But this is tournament football. We have more games to look forward to. We have to pick ourselves up and look forward. This game is behind us now so we have to take our positives from this."

Reflecting on the moment when he left the net bulging with the sweetest strike of his professional career Dier, who collected David Beckham's autograph when he lived in Portugal during Euro 2004, added: "It's probably one of the best moments I've had in football, a fantastic moment.

"I'd have taken a win with anyone else scoring, but I'm happy to have scored and just disappointed we didn't win it.

"Beckham was one of the best at those free-kicks and I've seen lots of clips of his free-kicks. I've practised them a lot since I was a kid."

Hodgson had taken something of a gamble, albeit an expected one, with his starting XI, using Wayne Rooney as a midfielder for the first time in his international career.

But the 30-year-old turned in a tidy performance and when he was substituted for Jack Wilshere, the lead was intact.

"I thought Wayne had a good game. I thought he was tiring, like a lot of players out there," explained Hodgson.

"With the control we had in the game and Jack on the bench, we thought we had the luxury of taking him off the field and Jack could do a similar job.

"We did honestly believe we were not in great difficulties in that period and we'd see the game out at 1-0."