Newlands sink Pier to book spot in North Riding Cup semis

editorial image

Newlands saw off Saturday League division one rivals West Pier to claim a 3-1 win in the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup quarter-finals, while Filey Town defeated Westover Wasps 2-1 to secure their place in the final four of the Coastal Shellfish League Cup.

Newlands are flying the flag for Scarborough in the NRCFA Saturday Challenge Cup after their hard-earned 3-1 quarter-final win at West Pier.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 28th minute when Sean Exley fired home from the penalty spot after he had been fouled in the area.

Newlands probably shaded a keenly contested opening 45 minutes, but it was Pier who stepped a gear after the break and they claimed a deserved leveller when Gary Thomas’ fine run and pass set up Tommy Barker to slide the ball past Richard Curtis in the Newlands goal.

Danny Cooper had a fine header hit the bar and a fierce free-kick was saved by Curtis and these missed chances proved crucial as Newlands struck twice in swift succession to claim the win.

In the 80th minute sub Aiden Thomas prodded home from close range after a goalmouth scrambled, and Pier did not have time to regroup as the visitors sealed the win in the 82nd minute thanks to a second goal from Exley.

Newlands boss Shaun Mancrief said: “Our back three were very impressive today and man of the match has to Ricky Nock who was strong throughout.”

Pier chief Andy Spivey said: “They were the better team in the first half by a fine margin and we improved after the break but they took their chances late on to win it.

“I would like to wish Newlands all the best in the competition.”

Filey Town were forced to work hard for their 2-1 League Cup quarter-final win at home to Westover Wasps.

Right-sided midfielder Ricky Tomlinson put Town ahead before half-time, but Wasps were left to rue a handful of misses chances, with the Town keeper on fine form and the Wasps also hitting the bar.

Ten minutes into the second half Luke Jones forced his way through the Filey defence and squared the ball to Liam Buglass who slotted home to make it 1-1.

The hosts restored their lead 15 minutes later when a cross from the right was headed in by striker James Pinder, and despite Wasps still creating a few chances they failed to finish them off.

Tomlinson was named as the Town ma of the match, while Wasps chief Jamie Heritage hailed the excellent team effort of the visitors giving the star man award to his whole team.

Scalby Reserves pulled off the shock of the day with a 2-1 home win against third division leaders Seamer Sports Reserves, the latter’s first defeat of the season.

The hosts went ahead on 30 minutes when Darren Eves fired in a rebound after his initial spot-kick was saved by Josh Broadhead, and 10 minutes into the second half Kris Tate pulled a goal back for the leaders.

Finnish full-back Janne Oina then headed Scalby in front, having hit the post with a free-kick shortly beforehand.

Scalby boss Jeff Brader said: “It was a well-deserved win and we played well throughout. All the lads did brilliantly but our man of the match was central midfielder George Wilson, who is played very well despite only being 16.”

Seamer chief Gary Dixon was very disappointed by his re-shuffled side’s below-par performance.

Eastway Sports earned a 3-0 home win against Commercial.

Eric Hall, Craig Moss and Mark Craven netted for the hosts, with Andy Dennis the man of the match for the victors.

Sherburn continued their fine run with a 4-0 win at 10-man Ayton Reserves.

Paul Mills put the visitors ahead early on, and although the hosts had a fine spell from the 20th minute onwards they failed to take full advantage, their best chance being a penalty awarded when Chris Stubbings was fouled but he skewed his shot left of the goal.

Ayton were temporarily up to 11 players, but further injuries saw them reduced to 10 despite the arrival of a sub.

Mills netted a goal either side of the interval to complete his hat-trick, with Carl Sample adding a late fourth from a yard out after an assist from sub Ross Anderson.

Livewire striker Mills was the clear winner of the Sherburn star man award, while centre-back Paul Thornton was the man of the match for Ayton, the skipper leading by example.

Seamer Sports fought back to earn a 3-3 division one draw at a fast-improving Ryedale Sports Club.

The hosts took the lead in the 20th minute when Jordan Thackeray’s great pass from the right flank allowed Ryedale’s in-form striker Martin Foxton to glance in a cracking header.

The home side added a second goal five minutes into the second half through Martin Myers, then on the hour mark a free-kick from Ben Thompson allowed Myers to flick in for Ryedale.

Centre-half Danny Meade, who had been on top form, then limped off with a hamstring injury and this seemed to spark Seamer into life and they pulled with Joe Tiffany’s headed goal back from a corner, and the visitors then struck twice to pull it back to 3-3.

Travis Wood made it 3-2 with another fine header then sub Matty Forysth smashed in a 20-yard shot that flew into the roof of the net.

Ryedale went looking for the late win and they had the perfect chance when Foxton was brought down in the box but Sam Turnbull skied his shot over the bar.

Myers was named as the man of the match for Ryedale, while Gaz Lawton was the star man for Seamer.

Sleights claimed a 6-2 home win against fellow strugglers Ayton, despite falling behind to an early goal.

Mike Grayshan opened the scoring for a depleted Ayton team, with Ed Turner levelling on the half-hour mark, then goals in quick succession from Mike Dent and James Fawcett put them 3-1 ahead at the interval.

Further goals from Ben Watson, man of the match Luke Asbury and Tom Kilpatrick put Sleights well clear, Shaun Fell netting for Ayton five minutes from time.

Whitby RUFC maintained their six-point lead at the top of the second division with a 4-1 win at Edgehill Reserves, despite playing the final 20 minutes with only 10 men.

The visitors opened the lead in the fifth minute when Mikey Kilpatrick netted with a 20-yarder into the top corner of the net, and five minutes later Benn Sullivan hammered a 20-yard shot into the top corner after linking up with winger Kilpatrick,

Whitby then went 3-0 up on 15 minutes when Damon Craig cut in from the right flank and blasted his shot past stand-in keeper Dave Bell.

Edgehill pulled a goal back before half-time when Tom Micklethwaite chested in from Tom Scales’ powerful drive.

The away team sealed the win on 65 minutes when Paul Jobling broke clear and rifled his shot home, but their chances were dented five minutes later when Harry Smith was sent off by ref Bill Pashby for swearing.

Central midfielder Sam Richardson was the star man for Whitby RUFC, while keeper Sam Gale also made some fine saves and Craig excelled on his return to the team.

Striker Carl Hepples was named as the man of the match for Edgehill.

Filey Town Reserves kept in touch with Whitby RUFC thanks to their 4-2 win at a hard-working Duchess team.

Tom Haxby’s free-kick put Town in front, but a superb 20-yard sidefoot from midfielder Chris Watson made it 1-1.

Player-manager Lee Cappleman put Town back in front with a penalty, but Duchess levelled again when a fine move was finished off by Ian Laing.

Filey made it 3-2 through Ryan Baldry in the 70th minute and five minutes later Scott Sheldon’s header sealed the points for Cappleman’s troops.

Midfielder Jamie Gallagher was in imperious for Town and won their man of the match award, while left-back Nathan Blanchard was Duchess’ star man, with James Hughes also shining up front.