Peat spot on as Boro net third win in a row

editorial image

Nathan Peat’s first-half penalty was the difference as Scarborough Athletic made it three wins in row with a 1-0 success against Trafford at a sun-soaked Queensgate.

Boro had the chances to score more goals and make it a more comfortable scoreline, but another solid defensive display and clean sheet provided the backbone for the victory.

Joint boss Bryan Hughes, missing counterpart Paul Foot in the dugout through illness, made several changes to the Boro line-up from the midweek win over Farsley, with Ryan Blott and Gary Bradshaw both making their first starts of the season, along with the inclusion of Joe Lamplough at left-back as Mallory moved into midfield to replace Kieran McCaffrey.

With a bumper crowd of 525 in attendance after an unbeaten start, Boro edged into the game in humid conditions, allowing Trafford striker Chris McDonagh the first sight of goal as he cleared the bar with a curling effort from outside the box.

Tom Corner was finding success through the middle, finding a yard of space behind the Trafford defence to nick the ball past keeper Russell Saunders, with Joe Fox unable to find a gap between the recovering defenders from a narrow angle.

Peat tried to catch out Saunders with an audacious lob from halfway, before a touch of class from the returning Gary Bradshaw nearly opened the scoring, as he brought down a Paul Robson delivery in the area and cracked a low volley goalwards, with Trafford keeper Saunders making a fingertip save to turn the ball agonisingly wide.

With Trafford struggling to cope with the height of Tom Corner from a succession of corners, one clumsy challenge on the striker gave Boro the chance to open the scoring.

The breakthrough came when Corner was knocked to the ground going up for a header by Jordan Hadfield, with captain Peat stepping up confidently to bury the ball low into the bottom corner.

Boro nearly doubled their lead towards the break as a Fox corner was headed back across goal by Qualter arriving late at the far post, with Corner’s sidefooted strike blocked on the line then Lamplough knocking into the side netting.

Ryan Blott volleyed just wide and Joe Lamplough skied over before the break as the home side finished the first half in the ascendancy.

Joe Fox nearly gave his side the perfect start on the resumption, making a direct run then seeing his deflected cross fall safely into the hands of Saunders.

Hadfield had two bites of the cherry redeem himself after fouling Corner for the opener, but he saw his first effort blocked and his second drive fly well over without troubling Simpson.

Intricate passing from Corner, Fox and Mallory freed up Blott to lift over the bar in his final action, as the striker was replaced by Alex Peterson, with Pete Davidson and Dominic Rowe also coming on to freshen up Boro for the final stages.

Jack Dorney nearly snatched an equaliser for Trafford, sneaking in behind Peat before lobbing behind.

Steve Mallory tested the palms of Saunders with a fearsome drive, shortly followed by a surging run from Alex Peterson past a couple of defenders before he shot straight at the Trafford stopper.

There was an injury scare in the closing stages for Boro keeper Ben Simpson as he went down clutching his knee, but he managed to keep going with no sub keeper on the bench.

Trafford missed a glorious chance to nick an late equaliser when centre-half Joshua Granite sliced wide from a few yards out as the final chance of an leveller went begging, with Boro creating enough going forward and defending solidly to earn all three points.