Pier and Newlands march into Challenge Cup quarter-finals

editorial image

West Pier and Newlands Park claimed away wins in the NRCFA Challenge Cup last 16, but Edgehill lost out 3-2 at Staithes Athletic, and there was plenty of cup drama in Cayton and Duchess’ respective League Trophy successes.

Pier claimed a 3-1 success at Lealholm, with Martin Cooper giving them the ideal started with a 35-yard scorcher after only two minutes.

The visitors doubled their lead six minutes later when Luke Delve got on the end of a fine through-ball from Will Jenkinson before slipping his shot past the home keeper.

Tommy Barker was then brought down in the penalty area, but Gaz Thomas missed the resulting spot-kick.

The third goal soon arrived when Barker fired in at the far post after a good move involving Delve and Cooper.

The Eskvale and Cleveland League side improved after the interval, but Pier defended well and after missing a couple of good chances to seal the game the visitors conceded a late consolation goal.

Boss Andy Spivey said: “This was a much better performance after last week’s disappointing show.

“Andy Sheader, Will Jenkinson and Delve were the pick in a good team display.”

Newlands Park joined Pier in the last eight thanks to a 4-1 win at Richmond Mavericks Reserves.

Jonny Manson opened the scoring for a dominant Park team, with an 18-yard strike from Sean Exley, but the hosts replied against the run of play just before half-time.

Exley’s second, a clever lob, was the goal of the game and restored Park’s two-goal lead, Danny Jenkinson’s effort capping a fine display from Shaun Mancrief’s team.

The boss said: “Matty Griffiths was excellent in defence, while the midfield pairing of Kyle May and Jenkinson were also outstanding.”

Edgehill lost out by the odd goal in five at Staithes Athletic to end their North Riding cup hopes.

In the 35th minute, Ricky Greening latched onto a long ball from keeper Liam Salt and fired Edgehill in front, but Athletic levelled five minutes later against the run of play, the visitors paying the price for missing four good first-half chances.

The hosts then struck twice to take a firm grip of the game, and although man of the match Gary Hepples gave Edgehill hope with 15 minutes left , they failed to find a leveller to take the game to penalties.

Duchess claimed a stunning 5-4 win in a dramatic League Trophy clash at second division title-chasers Whitby RFC.

Ian Jenkinson put the visitors in front, but Benn Sullivan levelled for the Whitby side.

Tom Hicks made it 2-1 before half-time, and when Duchess man of the match Jenkinson wrapped up his hat-trick - including a cracking solo effort for his third - the away side looked to be coasting to victory.

The hosts’ star man Sullivan had other ideas as he also wrapped up his treble to pull it back to 4-3, then Mikey Kilpatrick broke free on the left flank to set up Marc Usher to bring the scores level.

With one minute remaining, Matthew Hobson pounced in a goalmouth scramble to secure a superb cup win for Paul McBean’s team.

There was more cup drama at Cayton Corinthians, where the second division hosts needed a penalty shoot-out to see off third division Falsgrave Athletic 4-2 after the scores were locked at 3-3 at the end of normal time.

A 25-yard free-kick from Harry Holden and a neat finish from the same player put Cayton 2-0 up after 15 minutes, but a goal either side of half-time from Lewis Short levelled for Athletic.

A spectacular overhead-kick from Jack Pinder restored Cayton’s lead with just five minutes remaining, but with just 30 seconds left on the clock Mikey Anderson’s free-kick took the cup-tie to penalties, the home side winning 4-2.