Ruthless Red Star make progress

Halifax FA Saturday Cup

Hebden Royd Red Star ruthlessly snuffed out AFC Crossleys’ hopes of another upset after the underdogs’ win over Stump Cross in the previous round.

Red Star reached the quarter-finals with a 7-0 win, the Division One leaders having beaten the same opponents 6-0 win in the Challenge Cup in September.

Star were a goal up inside two minutes, Jordan Dean’s ball over the top being nicely weighted for James Chadwick, who lobbed the onrushing ‘keeper.

The lead was doubled shortly afterwards as Chris Garbutt ran onto Simon Leah’s pass, shaking off two defenders before applying a low finish.

Leah made it 3-0 after Crossleys made a hash of playing the offside trap and Liam Barrett’s deep cross was headed back across goal by Dean for centre half Matthew Oddy to prod home from close range.

In the second half Eddie Harvey scored after Garbutt’s glancing header had hit the upright, Leah made it six and sub Danny Willars completing the scoring, the hosts also missing a penalty.

John Booth scored four times in the first hour as regular competition winners and holders Ovenden WR won 5-2 away to Ealandians.

West Riding were soon on the attack through John Booth and Andy Gregory. Tom Greenwood made a point blank save from Gregory before Booth opened the scoring with a fifth minute penalty. Booth threaded the ball through a crowded goalmouth for his second.

Ealandians were always probing through James Parkinson and Wayne Crossley but found Ovenden’s makeshift centre back pairing of Matt Devlin and Andy Wilkinson in excellent form.

On 30 minutes Booth completed his hat-trick when he cut in from the right and his left foot 20 yarder beat Greenwood’s despairing leap.

His fourth, on the hour, came from close range after good work involving Robbie Graham.

Ealandians reduced the deficit through James Greenwood but Graham’s brave header past the oncoming Greenwood made it 1—5. Crossley produced a typical finish to round off the scoring.

Midgley maintained their excellent start to the season with a 3-1 win away to fellow AFL Premier side Ryburn United.

The visitors dominated on a heavily sanded pitch which was only just playable and would have won by more but for the heroics of home ‘keeper Ashley Raynor.

Midgley were two up in 15 minutes, Darren Nelson threading the ball through for Tom Booth to open the scoring and Nelson hitting a fine shot into the top corner after good work from Andy Butterworth and Booth.

Ryburn had just one good chance, Christian Silkstone pulling his shot wide, and Calum Rogers made it 3-0 from close range, following a Nelson corner, in the second half.

Raynor continued to keep the score down, denying Andy Butterworth from a free kick, before Rob Gerrard got a late consolation for Ryburn.

Halifax Irish had a comfortable 5-2 victory at home to Wadsworth, recovering well after falling behind after five minutes.

A Jordan Wadsworth back pass was intercepted by Max Crossley and although his effort was saved, Zac Greenwood followed up to tap home.

Irish soon asserted themselves with Jordan Coduri bagging a six minute hat-trick to give his side control.

Nathan Wood made it four on the stroke of half time with a scuffed drive from the edge of the box.

The impressive Zac Greenwood was trying to get Wadsworth going but was shackled by Declan Rothery.

Coduri notched his fourth and Irish’s fifth with a spectacular volley on the hour.

Crossley beat the offside trap to round Matt Townsend to get a consolation goal for Wadsworth.

The team everyone will hope to draw next Monday are minnows Spring Hall Celtic, the AFL bottom division side who continued their giant killing with an impressive display in a 7-5 win away to first division Northowram.

Brighouse Old Boys beat Holmfield 4-1 and Huddersfield Amateurs are the seventh team through after a 2-1 home win over Copley United.

The Copley versus Brighouse Town game was postponed.