SATURDAY CUP: Edgehill Reserves fight back to earn final spot

Edgehill Reserves
Edgehill Reserves

Edgehill Reserves fought back from 3-1 down to earn a 6-3 home win against Athletico2B in the League Trophy semi-final at Staxton, while Scarborough League sides Filey Town and Seamer Sports both suffered defeat in Harbour Cup semis at Lealholm and Kirkby respectively.

Mikey Barker smashed in four goals as Edgehill Reserves defeated second division rivals 6-3 to earn a spot in the Trophy Traders League Trophy final against Cayton Corinthians.

Barker opened the scoring in the 10th minute for the home side, veteran Steve Chapman levelled with a clinical strike, but shortly afterwards he had to leave the field through injury.

Sub Ross Kevan put Athletico2B in front then a Jackson Jowett effort five minutes before half-time put the away side in control.

Jason Prosser’s header from Barker’s corner brought the home side back into the game early in the second half.

Martyn Ferrey’s right-foot volley from 18 yards then levelled the scores and both sides went for the win with chances occuring at both ends.

Barker proved to be the difference between the two sides, slamming in three goals in the closing 15 minutes to seal a 6-3 win, his fourth and final strike coming straight from the re-start after Edgehill’s fifth effort, a mix-up between two Athletico2B players seeing him race from inside his own half and smack the ball into the net.

Edgehill Reserves chief Dan I’Anson said: “This was a good all-round team performance from my lads to get back from 3-1 down and win the game, Mikey Barker was outstanding up front but they all did their bit out there.”

Shaun Dodson was named as the man of the match for Athletico2B.

Saturday League division one leaders Filey Town suffered a shock 2-1 loss at Eskvale and Cleveland League pacesetters Lealholm in the Scarborough and District FA Harbour Cup semi-finals.

The hosts opened the scoring deservedly on 18 minutes and Daz Clough hit the post for Town in the 64th minute, and four minutes later he fired in a leveller for Town, very much against the run of play.

Seven minutes from time the hosts hit the winner, firing in a rebound after Dave Tonks had saved the initial effort.

Filey boss Jay Taylor said: “We were well below-par and did not deserve to win, but we still have plenty to play for and have some big games coming up in the league.”

York League side Kirkbymooorside battled back from 3-1 down to earn a 4-3 win at home to Seamer Sports.

Danny Bradbury opened the scoring for Paddy Parke’s side after 10 minutes, with Gaz Lawton providing the assist.

Fifteen minutes later Lawton smashed in a stunning shot from 20 yards to put Seamer in full control, but the hosts hit back with a close-range effort after a free-kick just before half-time.

Lawton restored the away side’s two-goal lead early in the second half when a mazy run and pass from Joe Gallagher set up Lawton to tap in his second goal.

This seemed to spark the Moorsiders into life and they swiftly replied with a strike after a mix-up in the Seamer defence.

Two goals in the final 10 minutes saw Kirkby snatch a place in the final, with Seamer living to regret a few missed chances either side of half-time when they were in front.

Man of the match for Seamer was Lawton, who has had a cracking season leading the line for the villagers.