SATURDAY CUPS & DIVISION 1: Double delight for Newlands

editorial image
Share this article

It was a great day for Newlands Park, with their reserves winning 2-0 at unbeaten division two leaders Edgehill Reserves to book a spot in the semi-finals of the League Trophy and Park’s first team triumphing 3-0 in a hard-fought encounter at home to Filey Town.

Saturday League Division one

Newlands 3 (Harrison og, McCoubrey, Exley) Filey Town 0

Division one leaders Newlands Park were forced to battle hard for their 15th successive league win of the season, a 3-0 triumph at home to fourth-placed Filey Town.

In a very closely-contested opening period, the home side took the lead when Town defender Jason Harrison sliced a clearance past his own keeper and into the net.

The visitors had a chance to level just before half-time but Liam Sugden failed to find the target.

Ricky Tomlinson had the opportunity to level the scores five minutes into the second half, but he also failed to net and straight from this miss, Newlands broke up the other end and made it 2-0 through Drew McCoubrey.

A free-flowing team move was finished off adeptly by the impressive Sean Exley to secure the points for Shaun Mancrief’s side.

Town right-back Gary Wardle missed the target from two yards as they visitors spurned another chance to get back into the contest.

Mancrief said after the game: “That was the toughest game we have had all season, Filey made us work hard for the win. Our keeper Sean Pinder also had to make some great saves for us, although we were the better side.

“Central midfielder Danny Jenkinson and right-back Jonny Mason were out best players.”

Town boss Jay Taylor said: “Although we have lost 3-0 I will take plenty of positives from the game, we had several chances to get on the scoresheet and if we had taken one of the earlier ones it could have been a different game.

“The difference is their front two are so lethal that they are always going to get goals against you, but we are a young team and I saw plenty of promise in our display.

“Centre-back John Emmerson was our man of the match as he put in a great performance.”

Trophy Traders League Trophy quarter-finals

Edgehill Reserves 0 Newlands Reserves 2 (Chambers, Freer)

Newlands Park Reserves pulled off a surprise 2-0 win at second division pacesetters Edgehill Reserves to book their spot in the last four of the League Trophy.

Neither side could break through in the first half of this wind-affected cup clash, the home side paying the price for failing to take advantage of the wind at their backs in the opening 45 minutes.

Dave Bell had the only clear-cut chance of the first half for Edgehill, his effort saved by Park keeper Will Rowley, while Luke Delve and Stefan Moon had the clearest opportunities for the visitors.

On the hour mark Adam Stride set up right-sided midfielder Sam Chambers, whose wind-assisted chip beat the home keeper.

Fifteen minutes later the visitors secured the win thanks to a header from left-sided midfielder Dan Freer from a Delve cross.

Jason Prosser had a chance to net for Edgehill but shot over on a day to forget for Dan I’Anson’s side, who are 11 points of second-placed Sleights in the division two table - and have yet to lose a game in the league.

Newlands player-boss Joe Hakings singled out Moon as man of the match but was quick to point out that a superb all-round team effort steered his side to victory.

Hakings also praised the display of referee Andy Smith, who is also the league secretary.

Snainton 0 Athletico2B 2 (Goodwin, Costigan)

Third division promotion-chasers Athletico2B pulled off a shock 2-0 win at second division Snainton to move into the semi-finals of the League Trophy.

After a goalless first half, the visitors took charge in the second half, Shaun Goodwin putting them ahead in the 55th minute with a cracking volley with his weaker right foot.

Sub Chris Costigan added a second goal 10 minutes later with a powerful low shot that crept through a crowded penalty area and past the home keeper to secure the win for Athletico2B.

Central midfielder Damian Dale was the man of the match for the victors, with Sam Swift also impressing on the left flank.

Ayton Reserves 2 (Friett, Stubbings pen) Whitby RUFC 3 (Usher, Richardson, Hogarth)

Whitby RUFC survived a stirring second-half revival from Ayton Reserves to edge into the Trophy semis with a 3-2 away win.

The visitors played with the wind at their backs in the first half and took the lead on 20 minutes, the move started by Chad Swales and Sam Richardson, with Ben Hogarth finding Paul Joblin out wide and his cross collected by Marc Usher and Hogarth applying the finishing touch to a great team move.

Swales and Sam Richardson soon combined again, the latter smashing a 25-yard screamer into the net off the underside of the bar.

Hogarth then set up Usher to fire in from close range to put the away side in a seemingly comfortable position.

After a strong team-talk from boss Mark Plumpton Ayton came out fired up and soon found themselves back in the game when Kieran Friett poked home after a fine cross from Robbie Gill.

With new signing Tyler Richardson pulling the strings in midfield, Ayton added a second goal when Sam Richardson brought down Corey White in the penalty area, Tyson Stubbings smashing in the spot-kick.

Stubbings then looked to have brought the scores level with a fine shot which was heading into the top corner of the net but Whitby man of the match Sam Gale pulling off a save worthy of a Premier League keeper to maintain his team’s slender one-goal advantage.

Stubbings also missed a one-on-one as the visitors ended up hanging on for the win.

While Gale was the Whitby man of the match Harry Smith also shone for the visitors.