Saturday division 1 & 3: Newlands march on

Saturday League news
Saturday League news

Newlands Park continued their domination of the Saturday League top flight with a 13-0 home win against Westover Wasps, while in division three, West Pier Reserves went top with a 5-2 home win against Commercial.

Saturday League

Division one

Newlands Park 13 (Logan 5, Jack Hakings 3, Freer 2, Exley, R Cooper, C Dove) Westover Wasps 0

A five-goal haul from Billy Logan steered runaway division one leaders Newlands Park to a comfortable 13-0 win at home to Westover Wasps.

Central midfielder Jack Hakings added a hat-trick while young forward Dan Freer also chipped in with a brace, while there were also goals from Ryan Cooper, Sean Exley and Chris Dove.

Left-back Josh Hakings impressed for Park, who also welcomed Danny Jenkinson back into the team.

Division three

West Pier Reserves (Speight 2, J Spivey, Scotter, Brown) Commercial 2

West Pier Reserves had to battle back from a goal down twice to earn a 5-2 win at home to Commercial, a result which saw them claim pole position.

The visitors went ahead after only 10 minutes, but striker Rob Speight levelled for Dave Crawford’s side less than two minutes later.

Pier found them a goal down again before the break through a penalty and the league newcomers retained the lead until half-time.

Jamie Scotter equalised for Pier on the hour mark with a majestic header from one of many precise corners from Chris Weetman.

The hosts then took the lead for the first time in bizarre fashion, Ben Brown’s searching 50-yard free-kick sailing past all the Pier forwards and the Commercial defenders and keeper and into the net.

Speight then pounced again to double Pier’s lead and a Joel Spivey strike confirmed the win for Crawford’s troops.

Speight was named as man of the match for a tireless display up front and his two-goal haul.

Westover Wasps Reserves 3 (Wood 3) Ayton Reserves 1 (White)

A Travis Wood hat-trick helped Westover Wasps’ second string continue their revival with a 3-1 home success against Ayton Reserves.

The home side went ahead after only five minutes when a long ball was not dealt with by the Ayton centre-back and as a consequence of the missed header Wood ran through to expertly chip keeper Sean Pinder.

Pinder then pulled off three saves to keep Ayton in the game as the hosts went into the half-time break 1-0 ahead.

Ayton, who were without player-boss Mark Plumpton, then levelled with a header from a corner by Corey White.

Wood then restored Wasps’ lead with a carbon copy of the first goal in the 75th minute, and the same approach paid off five minutes later as the striker capped a man of the match display with his hat-trick goal.

Right-sided midfielder Kyle O’Toole also shone for Kev Hodgson’s victorious team, while John Graystone shone for Ayton.

The visitors were hampered in the closing moments by an injury to centre-back Phil Pickard, who had to go in goal, with Pinder playing outfield, but he then aggravated a groin injury so he had to limp off - and with their only sub used Ayton had to play the final 10 minutes with only 10 men.

Sleights 2 (Ingham, Taylor) Cayton Corinthians Reserves 1 (Farrah)

Sleights Reserves left it late to grab a home win against Cayton Reserves by two goals to one.

Player-boss Rob Ingham put the home side ahead on the half-hour mark, but 18 minutes from time Graeme Farrah levelled with a tap-in for Cayton, who hit the woodwork several times in the game.

Sleights man of the match Simon Taylor had other ideas, netting his side’s second goal five minutes from time to snatch all three points for the promotion-chasers.

Jamie Whitelaw was the Cayton man of the match, while centre-back Mark Knowlson also shone and Josh Tweddle, 16, put in a solid shift as the stand-in goalkeeper.

Frank White Trophy

Seamer Sports Reserves 0 Whitby RUFC 8 (Jobling 4, Craig 2, Usher, Hogarth)

A four-goal blast from striker Paul Jobling helped Whitby RUFC coast to victory at Seamer Sports Reserves in the Frank White Trophy.

Jobling opened the scoring for Ste Mothersdale’s side, who were without six players from the previous week’s cup shock win against top-flight Falsgrave.

Damon Craig then smacked in two goals to effectively seal the win, Jobling adding his second before the interval.

Marc Usher’s far post shot made it 5-0 early in the second half, then Jobling completed his hat-trick and hit a fourth with a strong shot and Ben Hogarth made it 8-0 with a superb lob.

Mitch Huby was named as the man of the match, excelling at right-back in the first half and then commanding at centre-back throughout the second half.