Saturday divisions 3 & 2: Promotion clash abandoned

Saturday League news
Saturday League news

The clash between two of the third division’s form teams was abandoned with 10 minutes left, the referee calling the game off due to a spectator’s behaviour towards him.

Division three

Falsgrave Reserves 2 (Hansen, Walker) Whitby RUFC 2 (Usher, Craig pen) - abandoned after 80 minutes

This was a great match between two sides who have made a cracking start to the season, but unfortunately it will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Referee David Stancill called the game off with 10 minutes remaining - and the scores locked at 2-2 - due to a spectator’s behaviour towards him.

Falsgrave Reserves boss Lee Smythe said: “We have no idea who this man was, he kept hurling verbal abuse at the referee in the first half, and when the second half got going he continued to do so.

“The ref told me to get him away from the pitch or he would call the game off and he started to walk away after we asked him to stop having a go at the ref. But then as he was going away he kept shouting at the ref and he called the game off.”

Whitby RFC boss Ste Mothersdale added: “He was stood near the Falsgrave officials and kept having a pop at the referee.

“When the ref called off the game I was asking why he was doing it as there was nothing we could do about the behaviour of a spectator as we were the away team.

“After having been 2-0 down we had come back into the game after the break and could well have nicked it if we had played the full 90 to be honest, but I am proud of my players in the way that they fought back to get back level.

“I am not sure if the result will stand or if the match will be replayed, that is up to the league to decide.”

Zak Hansen gave the home side the lead and then a Clayton Walker header put Falsgrave 2-0 up at half-time.

The visitors piled on the pressure after the break and despite a string of cracking saves from Falsgrave man of the match Shaun Gough they finally pulled a goal back through Marc Usher.

Third vision leaders Whitby made it 2-2 from the penalty spot when left-back Damon Craig fired home after Mikey Kilpatrick had been fouled in the area. Craig was also named as the star man for the visitors.

Ste Ross and Kilpatrick were both denied by Gough before the game was called off.

Scalby Reserves 0 West Pier Reserves 4 (Ryan 2, Butler, Speight)

Unbeaten West Pier Reserves marched on with this comfortable win at Scalby Reserves.

The visitors were on top for most of the first half but it took until the 40th minute for them to go ahead, striker Chris Ryan firing in the opener for Dave Crawford’s team.

Five minutes into the second half Stu Butler’s thumping 20-yard left-footed shot put Pier 2-0 ahead.

Striker Rob Speight’s clinical strike from seven yards out made sure of the win for Pier 20 minutes from time, and a Ryan volley completed the scoring.

The man-of-the-match award was shared between the versatile Ryan and centre-back Ben Brown.

Sleights Reserves 2 (M Brennan, L Brennan) Seamer Sports Reserves 0

Sleights’ second string continued their steady progress up the third division table with a 2-0 home win against a depleted Seamer Reserves.

Mike Brennan opened the scoring for the home side five minutes into the second half with a header.

James Greenwood and Matty Morris both had chances to level the scores but shot straight at the keeper, and these misses proved vital as Sleights made sure of the win five minutes from time thanks to a powerful 25-yard shot from Lee Brennan.

Left-back Stu Hancock was named as the Sleights man of the match for a solid performance in defence, while keeper Josh Broadhead was the star man for Gary Dixon’s Seamer side, with centre-backs Sam Gregory and Adam Morris also impressing.

Cayton Cors Reserves 4 (Johns, Durham, Whitelaw, Stanworth pen) Westover Wasps Reserves 1 (Thornton)

Cayton Corinthians Reserves came back from a goal down to beat Westover 4-1.

Sean Thornton opened the scoring for Wasps after only 10 minutes, a deserved lead as the away team were on top for the first 35 minutes.

Cayton stirred into life before half-time with a Wayne Johns tap-in and an effort from man of the match Ash Durham putting them 2-1 in front at the interval.

Wasps started the second half brightly but did not take their chances and Cayton made them pay, with sub Jamie Whitelaw adding a third for the villagers.

Central midfielder Mike Stanworth made it 4-1 from the penalty spot to cap the win for Neil Kirby’s side.

Whitelaw, who came on as the right-winger after 20 minutes, also impressed for Cayton while left-back Ryan Wood was the Wasps player of the match.

Division two

United Sports Bar 4 (Turner 3, Rackham) Newlands Park Reserves 2 (Delve 2)

A virtuoso performance from forward Matty Turner steered United Sports Bar to a 4-2 home win against Newlands Park Reserves in a keenly-contested clash.

Turner opened the scoring for United, breaking through the Park defence and slotting past the keeper after fine approach play from his teammates.

He then added a second with a deflected shot and then turned provider, breaking down the left wing and setting up striker Craig Rackham to shoot home from 12 yards out.

Newlands were always in the game and had their chances, and 20 minutes into the second half they gained a foothold in the game thanks to a Luke Delve header from a throw-in.

Turner completed his hat-trick to restore United’s three-goal lead after latching onto a pass from sub Lucas Hardisty.

Delve added a second goal in the closing moments, hooking the ball home after a long clearance from keeper Stu Bates.

Turner was man of the match for the hosts, with left-winger Benji Harrison on top form. Si McCallaugh was the Newlands man of the match for a strong show at right-back.