Saturday football reports - Edgehill bounce back

editorial image

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill troops recovered from last week’s North Riding Cup loss at home to West Pier with a fine 3-0 win at Newlands in the Coastal Shellfish League Cup quarter-final, while Athletico2B stormed into the Frank White Trophy final with an 8-1 semi-final win at Sleights and Pier went above Ayton and into second in the first division table after a 4-1 win against Steve Roberts’ side.

Coastal Shellfish League Cup quarter-final

Newlands 0 Edgehill 3 (Jones, Craig, A Coulson)

Edgehill booked their place in the final four of the League Cup with three goals in the final 15 minutes of this clash.

The clearest chance of a competitive first 45 minutes fell to Newlands when Edgehill keeper Darren Hodgson committed a foul in the penalty area, but the keeper made up for his error by pulling off a stunning save to deny Josh Hakings from the spot.

After the break, Edgehill began to step up a gear, and when an injury to left-back Lloyd Henderson forced Steve Clegg to make a change, he brought on forward Daniel Jones and changed to a 3-4-3 formation. This paid off when Jones opened the scoring in the 75th minute with a clinical finish.

Central midfielder Dean Craig made it 2-0 with a powerful low left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the Newlands net.

The visitors saved the best to last, with Alec Coulson scoring a stunning solo goal. The forward held the ball up and turned past one defender and then shaped one way and then the other to baffle another Newlands player and he then scooped an exquisite lob over the home keeper.

Shaun Mancrief hailed the hard work of his defenders Josh Hakings, Kile Fields, Jordan Mintoft and Nick Beal, while Clegg singled out centre-backs Danny White and Carl Hepples, and central midfield duo Gary Hepples and Dean Craig.

Frank White Trophy semi-final

Athletico2B 8 (B David 3, Goodwin 2, Dodson 2, May) Sleights 1

In a game switched to Sleights’ home ground due to the wet weather, it was the Scarborough side who demolished their promotion rivals.

Athletico2B now face Cayton Reserves in the final on Easter Monday, April 1, 12noon kick-off at Seamer Sports Association.

Ben David was on explosive form, firing in three goals while his striking partner Sean Goodwin banged in a brace of goals and midfielder Shaun Dodson also netted twice. Kyle May’s stunning 20-yard shot was the pick of the goals, and their man of the match was centre-back Sam Medd.

Division one

Ayton 1 (S Sheader og) West Pier 4 (D Cooper 2, G Thomas, Meads)

Pier moved into second spot - above Ayton - with this hard-earned victory in a match switched to Sherburn.

In a very competitive first half, neither side could manage to break through the respective defences.

Danny Cooper opened the scoring for Pier early in the second half, toe-poking the ball into the net after a goalmouth scramble.

Mikey Dennis had an effort which fizzed inches wide of the Pier shortly after this first goal, and this proved to be a turning point for Andy Spivey’s side as they soon made it 2-0, with man of the match Cooper again on target, this time with a clever left-footed chip from an acute angle.

With 10 minutes remaining, Pier added a third through a deflection off Gaz Thomas but Ayton replied swiftly with a free-kick by former Pier ace Chris McNeil which went in off his former teammate Steve Sheader.

The three-goal was restored in the 90th minute when sub Phil Meads broke through and found the net with an exquisite chipped shot.

Hunmanby United 11 Westover Wasps 0

The Sands Lane club built on the previous week’s shock 4-3 win at Whitby Fishermen’s with this hammering of a below-par Wasps.

Midfielder Curtis Rose was man of the match for the Wasps.

Division two

Rillington 2 Newlands Reserves 2 (Moon 2)

Two superb goals from Stefan Moon helped Dougie McGregor’s side earn a draw at Rillington.

The villagers opened the scoring on 10 minutes with a penalty, but 10 minutes later Moon - playing up front rather than his usual midfield role - fired in an equaliser after controlling the ball adeptly.

Man of the match Moon shone again before half-time, this time hammering home a free-kick into the top corner of the home side’s net, but ten minutes into the second half Rillington made it 2-2 with a scrappy goal.

Division three

Scalby Reserves 4 (Simpson 3, two pens, Brown) Cayton Corinthians Reserves 2 (Stockell pen, Wedge own goal)

A Rich Simpson hat-trick helped the hosts secure all three points in this keenly-contested clash.

The visitors must have sensed their second league win of the season when they took an early 2-0 lead, firstly when Adam Stockell’s free-kick weas flicked in by home player Danny Wedge and then from the spot thanks to Stockell after Jake Scutt was adjudged to have committed a foul.

Man of the match Michael Brown’s curling shot gave Scalby hope and then Simpson netted from the spot after Danny Manning’s foul.

Ten minutes before half-time Simpson made it 3-2 after a one-on-one.

The turning point of the game came early in the second half when Stockell put the ball in the net direct from a free-kick but the referee disallowed it after saying it was an indirect free-kick. Almost immediately Scalby earned another penalty with Simpson completing his treble.

Midfielder Gus Ferra won the man-of-the-match award for the basement club, who also had Paul Moir on top form.