SATURDAY LEAGUE: Filey Reserves win second division title

editorial image

Filey Town Reserves wrapped up the Scarborough News Saturday League second division title on Easter Monday evening with a hard-earned 2-0 win at relegated FC Rosette.

The Newby-based side put in their best performance of the season, but they could not stop Martyn Jenkinson giving Town the lead after getting on the end of a long throw just before half-time.

Rosette had a strong penalty claim turned down early in the second half and this proved to be crucial as Dave Wedge fired in after a corner to effectively seal the win -and secure the division two title for the visitors.

Bill Cammish’s side then hit the crossbar with a fierce shot, but it was to no avail as the away side claimed victory.

Sam Loy and Lewis Hird shared the man of the match award for the hosts.

Edgehill Reserves slipped to a 9-0 loss at home to Scalby, with Ash Townley banging in a hat-trick.

Shaun Scales and Mark Vasey also fired in a brace apiece, with Ben Webster and an own goal from player-boss Dan I’Anson wrapping up the win.

Scales shone for the visitors up front, while full-back Brandon Catherall and stand-in keeper Matty Turner also impressed.

Edgehill maintained their division one title push with a 9-0 win at Hunmanby United.

Man of the match Dean Craig scored a hat-trick from central midfield, while striker Ricky Greening netted the first two goals.

Efforts from Tom Scales, Danny Collins, Phil Warnett and an own goal completed the scoring.

Centre-back Jason Darling impressed for the visitors once again.

A depleted Newlands side earned a 2-0 home win at Ryedale Sports Club to keep their title defence on track.

Adam Stride netted both goals for the hosts, with Ricky Nock and Matty Griffiths the men of the match for Newlands.

Tennyson came back from 2-0 down to earn a 3-2 win at Ayton Reserves in division three.

Paul Oldroyd opened the scoring with a free-kick and a bullet header from Shaun Dolan put the depleted hosts in charge.

Sam Mahoney scored a goal either side of half-time, and along with an Adam Martin effort completed a stunning comeback for the visitors.

Oldroyd shone in midfield for Ayton while Dan Marston was man of the match for Tennyson, with Neil Forsyth also playing well.