Sunday Cup round-up: Traf boss Salt sees off Klosters

editorial image

Trafalgar claimed victory in the Senior Cup first round match away to Klosters thanks to a hat-trick from player-boss Liam Salt, while West Riding and Strongwood joined them in the last eight of the competition after wins against Fylingdales and West Pier Reserves respectively.

Klosters 2 (A Townley, Garnett) Trafalgar 5 (L Salt 3, Hegarty 2)

Traf’s late double blast gave a flattering scoreline to this fiercely competitive at Oliver’s Mount against a dogged Klosters outfit.

Nick Hegarty opened the scoring for the visitors with a header from Liam Salt’s inch-perfect cross.

The home side refused to submit and they got on level terms thanks to a 25-yard free-kick from Ashley Townley.

A shock looked to be on the cards when Sam Garnett put Klosters 2-1 ahead before the interval.

Player-boss Salt fired in the equaliser early in the second half, and he was on target again soon afterwards to restore Traf’s one-goal advantage.

The home side battled away trying to get back into the game, but they seemed to run out of steam in the final five minutes, with a goal apiece for Salt and Hegarty securing their quarter-final berth.

Klosters boss Rhys Howell said: “We battled hard and tried to play football on an awful surface against a really strong Traf side. We then decided to give up after 85 minutes and as a result the scoreline is embarrassing.”

Strongwood 4 (Purves 2, Fennell, Hall) West Pier Reserves 0

A goal either side of half-time from striker Luke Purves helped the Eastfield side ease into the next round of the Senior Cup with this win at Oliver’s Mount.

Purves, who has only been moved up front in recent games by Strongwood boss Steve Mainprize, opened the scoring after 20 minutes with a neat finish from six yards. This remained the score at half-time as Strongwood worked hard playing into a strong wind against a determined Pier second string.

Almost straight from the kick-off after half-time Purves slotted home his second to put his side in full control.

The win was sealed by a superb solo run and shot from right-back Thomas Fennell, who used his pace to race 80 yards down the right flank.

Purves’ strike-partner Eric Hall slammed home a 20-yard shot to complete the scoring for the Eastway-based club.

Central midfielder Matty Dawson had a cracking game for the victors, while sub Sean Davies also impressed in a great cameo performance which included a 30-yard thunderbolt that crashed back off the Pier crossbar.

Pier Reserves boss Mark Tucker said: “We weren’t really in the game at all. It was 1-0 at half-time and we were competitive but we were disappointing in the second half. We stopped doing everything that we had done well in the opening 45 minutes. To be fair I only had a bare 11 and had to bring in a couple of players who had not played all season, so it could have been a lot worse.

“Man of the match was skipper Chris Watson, who covered nearly every blade of grass.”

Strongwood will now entertain the winners of the Sun v It is It is clash in the quarter-finals.

West Riding 4 (Anderson 3, K Williamson) Fylingdales 3 (M Waterfield 3)

Riding saw off their division two rivals Fylingdales in a thrilling cup-tie, and they will now play host to Traf in the final eight.

After Mark Waterfield’s double had put the villagers 2-0 in front early on, Mike Anderson’s hat-trick led the way for the home side at a windy Oliver’s Mount, Kurt Williamson slamming home the other goal for Billy Johnson’s team as they turned the game on its head to lead 4-2.

Waterfield completed his hat-trick to reduce the deficit to just one goal but Riding had done enough to progress.

Centre-back Dave Oxley was named as man of the match for Riding, while Kieran Link also played well for the victors.

New Fylingdales boss Neil Brearley said: “We started well with two goals in a game which was played in very difficult conditions, but full credit must go to Riding for their comeback. I would like to wish them all the best in the next round of the cup.

“Waterfield was man of the match for us with a superb show of finishing.”

Ayton 3 (Bywater, White, Stubbings) Scarborough Sports 1 (Sanderson)

Second division side Ayton secured a home tie against West Riding Reserves in the McCain Cup quarter-finals thanks to their 3-1 home win against division three outfit Scarborough Sports.

The visitors were the better team in the first half and took a deserved lead thanks to a lob on the counter attack from Ryan Sanderson.

After a stirring half-time team-talk from player-manager Mark Plumpton, the visitors dominated the second half and Mike Grayshan picked out Dan Bywater at the back post on 65 minutes, the latter tapping in from close-range.

Mark Craven was denied by Sports keeper Shaun Gough in a one-on-one, but the second goal soon came when Tyson Stubbings was played through and he lobbed Gough.

Corey White scored his first goal of the season shortly afterwards, slotting in from close-range after great wing play from Stubbings.

White was man of the match for Ayton, bossing the midfield from start to finish, while Nick Prew earned the star man award for Sports.