SUNDAY CUPS: Flyers stun Traf in FA Cup shoot-out

editorial image

Filey Flyers pulled off one of the shocks of the season to defeat division one title favourites Trafalgar 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out in their Scarborough FA Sunday Cup semi-final, with Klosters joining the Flyers in the final after a 2-0 win at West Pier, while Fylingdales and Newlands eased into the last four of the Kenward Cup.

Sunday FA Cup semi-finals

Filey Flyers 1 (James Pinder) Trafalgar 1 (Salt), Flyers win 5-4 on penalties

Dave Brannan Jnr’s Filey Flyers pulled off a massive cup shock to knock Trafalgar out of the FA Cup with a 5-4 penalty shoot-out success after the scores were locked at 1-1 after 90 minutes.

The achievement was all the more impressive as the Flyers lost influential defender John Emmerson in the 78th minute with a broken ankle, and had also lost Jonny Keable to sprained ankle ligaments only five minutes before.

James Pinder put the Flyers in front after 30 minutes with a breakaway goal, player-boss Liam Salt levelling for Traf in the 70th minute despite Filey appeals for offside.

Shaun Dodson was the only player to miss a penalty in the shoot-out, Traf’s opener being saved by Mikey Hunter, leaving Brannan to fire in the fifth and winning spot-kick to spark the Filey celebrations.

The first four penalty-scorers for Flyers were Will Hunter, Ryan Baldry, Pinder and their regular penalty-taker, keeper Mikey Hunter.

Brannan Jnr said: “We seemed to want it more than them, especially in the second half.

“It is a big blow for us to lose John Emmerson, but it is also bad for Saturday League side Filey Town as he has probably been their best player this season. He did not think he had broken it and only went up to the hospital later in the evening when they told him he had suffered a clean break.”

Salt said: “This was my first game back after a long lay-off. I was forced to play as a couple of our players never turned up, but fair play to Flyers they worked hard throughout.”

West Pier 0 Klosters 2 (Brown, Rose)

Klosters produced a disciplined display to win their semi-final against West Pier by a 2-0 scoreline.

Playing into the wind in the opening period, the visitors saw very little of the ball with Pier dominating possession, but failing to apply the finishing touch to their moves.

The only real chance of any note fell to Dave Bell following a goalmouth scramble but his effort cleared the crossbar from two yards out and the half ended with the game still goalless.

Klosters began the second half on the front foot with the wind at their backs and took the lead just after the hour mark.

Sam Garnett and Mark Vasey combined to set up Michael Brown to pick out the top corner of the home net from close range.

Pier worked hard to find a way back into the game, with Rob Speight, Gaz Thomas and Paul Provins all spurning half-chances, but the visitors’ defence held firm and Neil Fryirs almost extended their lead, twice rattling the woodwork with long-range free-kicks.

Georgie Rose enjoyed better luck with a set-piece of his own, planting the ball past home keeper Scott Wardman from the edge of the box in the 88th minute to seal Klosters’ place in the final.

Gaz Thomas produced an industrious performance in the heart of the Pier midfield, while full-back James Wardle also impressed.

The centre-half pairing of Nicky Sumpton and Gareth Davies impressed for the victors.

Kenward Cup quarter-finals

Tennyson Reserves 1 Fylingdales 5 (Waterfield 2, Faichney, Ford, Welham)

Mark Waterfield hit a double as top-flight Fylingdales secured a 5-1 win at division two strugglers Tennyson Reserves in the Kenward Cup quarter-finals.

The other scorers for Neil Brearley’s side were Jake Faichney, Simon Ford and Dave Welham.

Trafalgar Reserves 0 Newlands Park 8 (Delve 3, Freer, Moon, Cooper, Bates, Mann))

A Luke Delve hat-trick helped division one leaders Newlands ease into the final four of the Kenward Cup with ann 8-0 win at division two pacesetters Trafalgar Reserves.

The other scorers for Joe Hakings’ side were Dan Freer, Stew Bates, Ryan Cooper, Stefan Moon and Chris Mann.

Johnny Manson was named as the man of the match for the victors.