Sunday division 2: New-look Newlands win

Sunday League news
Sunday League news
Share this article

There were some surprises in division two’s opening day, with a new-look Newlands winning 5-2 at Ayton, Tennyson Reserves seeing off Commercial 3-2, Castle FC surging to a 4-0 success at new boys Fylingdales Reserves, and Angel winning 2-0 at home to fellow newcomers Heslerton, while Trafalgar Reserves left it late to net a 4-3 win at Whitby Wanderers.

Division two

Tennyson Reserves 3 (Mahoney 2, Allen) Commercial 2 (Youngson 2)

Tennyson’s second string earned a dramatic win in a thrilling game against Commercial.

Sam Mahoney opened the scoring for Jono Pashby and Tony Walker’s side, latching onto a long pass over the top before slipping the ball over Commercial keeper Jamie Fowler and into the net.

Striker Macauley Youngson struck for the away side to send the teams into the interval locked together at 1-1.

On the hour mark George Allen, who had come on as a sub at half-time as the home side changed their formation from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2, deflected the ball past Fowler to restore the lead for Tennyson.

But once again the visitors refused to submit and Youngson again scored, thanks to fine approach play from fellow striker Mikey Barker.

The away side looked most likely to snatch all three points, but it was Tennyson who grabbed the win with a 30-yard shot from Mahoney, the last kick of the game.

Keeper Dave Tonks and right-back Sean Hughes shone for the victors, while 17-year-old Jamie Stewart and strike duo Barker and Youngson impressed for Geoff Osguthorpe’s Commercial side.

Ayton 2 (White, S Wood og) Newlands Reserves 5 (T Wood 3, S Wood, Coupland)

New-look Newlands Reserves stormed to a 5-2 win against a youthful Ayton side.

Travis Wood had a stunning debut for the visitors, banging in a hat-trick for Newlands, while his older brother Sean Wood scored from centre-back, right-sided midfielder Si Coupland completing the trio of debutant scorers.

The other new faces for Dave Gaddass’ side included keeper Daz Palmer and Dave Darling, and the new recruits certainly made an impact.

Ayton were 4-0 down at half-time and although that was soon 5-0 early in the second half, the final 45 minutes of the game belonged to the home side as the villagers struck twice and could well have added at least two more to their tally.

Corey White struck the first goal for mark Plumpton’s side, forcing the ball past Palmer after the veteran keeper stopped the intial shot from Tyson Stubbings.

The second Ayton goal was created by Sam Wallace’s cross, Newlands defender Sean Wood scoring at the wrong end this time with a deflection past Palmer.

Stubbings had two great chances to add to Ayton’s tally, while Wallace and Kieran Friett also could have netted.

White and 16-year-old right-back Tom MacDougall shared the man of the match award for Ayton while Travis Wood was star man for Newlands.

Fylingdales Reserves 0 Castle FC 4 (Spence 2, Day, Grayson)

Castle started their campaign with a bang, super-sub Nathan Spence’s double firing them to victory at newcomers Fylingdales.

James Day opened the scoring with a cracking finish, then Spence weighed in with his double before a clinical finish from Carl Grayson capped the triumph.

Keeper Mikey Harland was the man of the match for Castle, standing in as goalie at the last minute and setting up Day’s opener as well as pulling off some top saves.

Angel 2 (Galway 2) Heslerton 0

A double from Dave Galway helped Angel wn the clash of the new boys.

With both sides fielding young teams there was plenty of rising stars on show, but it was Galway who hogged the limelight with his brace of goals.

Skipper Robbie Preston was the Heslerton man of the match with James McLoughlin also having a strong game in the centre of midfield for the villagers.

Whitby Wanderers 3 (Ross, Keys, Kilpatrick) Trafalgar Reserves 4 (Pinder 3, Newbould)

A Jack Pinder hat-trick helped Traf come from behind to earn victory at Whitby.

A breakaway effort from Ste Ross piut Wanderers in front, but Guy Newbould’s 20-yard strike levelled the scores.

Jericho Keys made it 2-1 on the counter-attack, and once again Traf equalised, this time striker Pinder netting for the away side just before the interval.

Mike Kilpatrick put Whitby 3-2 ahead early in the second half after latching onto a long ball, and it seemed as if Mark Jackson’s side would earn victory, but two late goals from Pinder - the second being from the last kick of the game to snatch victory.

Keeper Dan Fish was the Wanderers man of the match while Pinder was the Traf star man.