Sunday division one & Kenward Cup round-up: Newlands beat Traf, Strongwood win thriller

editorial image

Newlands keeper George Elliot starred as his side beat first division rivals Trafalgar at Staxton in a shoot-out in the Kenward Cup quarter-final, while in division one Strongwood secured a 9-7 win in a 16-goal thriller at Filey Flyers, and Klosters saw off Seamer 3-2.

Kenward Cup

Action from Sunday football, Trafalgar (blue) v Newlands, Kenward Cup match, at Staxton. Photo by Andrew Higgins 130123d 06/01/2013

Action from Sunday football, Trafalgar (blue) v Newlands, Kenward Cup match, at Staxton. Photo by Andrew Higgins 130123d 06/01/2013

Trafalgar 0 Newlands 0 (aet), Newlands win 4-3 on penalties.

In an action-packed quarter-final, 10-man Newlands edged into the last four of the Kenward Cup.

The home side had the clearer chances to score in this tie, with three goals disallowed and a penalty saved by the in-form Newlands keeper George Elliot, the latter also saving the rebound.

Newlands boss Joe Hakings said: “Elliot had a top game, he pulled off some cracking saves, including a double save from Wayne Aziz, the Brid defender.

“We had most of the possession in the game, but they had the clear-cut chances. We were hampered by the dismissal of Stefan Moon for two cautions on the hour mark, so to get through another hour to force the game into penalties was a fine achievement.”

In the penalty shoot-out, Elliot stopped two more penalties as the sides were locked at 3-3 after five penalties apiece. In sudden-death Aidan Thomas slammed home the first spot-kick, and Gary Jordan blazed his effort over the bar to give Newlands the victory.

Hakings singled out Elliot, who was man of the match for a stunning display in goal.

Sunday League division one

Filey Flyers 7 (Sheldon 3, M Jenkinson, P Dickens, M Dickens, Hall og) Strongwood 9 (Purvis 6, Hall, Barber, own goal)

Six of the best from Strongwood striker Luke Purvis secured Steve Mainprize’s side their first top-flight victory of their season.

Purvis, who had been moved up front from midfield by Mainprize, soon repaid his boss’ faith by netting the opener after only three minutes.

Eric Hall, playing in central defence as opposed to his usual striking position, then scored a bizarre own goal, his attempted clearance smacking into his face and flying into the net.

Purvis restored his side’s advantage after latching onto a Chris Mann cross in the 25th minute, and two minutes later the Strongwood striker completed his hat-trick.

Flyers struck twice to make it 3-3, but goals in the 40th and 45th minutes, again from Purvis put Flyers 5-3 ahead.

Purvis hit his sixth just 60 seconds into the second half, and when Hall volleyed home in the 49th minute the win was effectively sealed by the visitors.

The hosts struck twice to give themselves hope, but an own goal, after a Dom Barber cross, and a shot by the latter made it 9-5 to Strongwood.

The Filey side struck another two goals to reduce the deficit, but the visitors had done more than enough to seal the win.

Flyers man of the match Scott Sheldon scored a hat-trick for the home side, with Matt Dickens, player-boss Martyn Jenkinson and Phil Dickens adding to the Hall own goal.

Mainprize said: “This could be a turning point for our season, we had the likes of Bobby Penny, Nathan Till and Jamie Hartley still missing, while it seems Damien Devine may well be returning from injury soon and he is a key player for us.

“Gareth Evans and Eric Hall were on top form at the back, but Luke was the man of the match with his six goals.”

Klosters 3 (A Townley, M Vasey pen, Fryirs) Seamer 2 (Buglass, Clough)

Rhys Howell’s Klosters outfit moved up to third in the division one table after keeping their cool for a home win against Seamer,

The hosts went 2-0 up through Ashley Townley from close range early on then a Mark Vasey penalty after 25 minutes.

Seamer finished the half on top and made it 2-1 just before the half-time break.

Howell said: “The second half was very evenly-contested. Seamer equalised with about 10 minutes to go but Neil Fryirs won it for us with a curling free-kick into top corner after 89 minutes. Centre-half Lee Luntley was our man of the match.”

Liam Buglass and Darren Clough netted for Seamer.