SUNDAY LEAGUE & CUP: Coulson and Wrays seal Traf Reserves cup victory

editorial image
Share this article

Second division leaders Trafalgar Reserves earned a fine 4-1 win at top-flight Roscoe’s Bar in the Kenward Cup, while division one outfit West Pier were forced to dig deep for a 3-0 home win against division two high-flyers Commercial and in the league Whitby Wanderers dug deep for a 1-0 win at Fylingdales Reserves to strengthen their hold on second spot in division two

Kenward Cup

Roscoe’s Bar 1 (G Hepples) Trafalgar Reserves 4 (A Coulson 2, J Wray, A Wray)

An Alec Coulson double helped Trafalgar Reserves earn a 4-1 win at Roscoe’s Bar in the Kenward Cup.

Alex Wray’s powerful strike put Traf ahead in the first half, the home side missing a fine chance to level from a one-on-one situation.

Jamie Wray made it 2-0 to Traf early in the second half, but straight from the re-start Gary Hepples smashed in a shot for Roscoe’s.

Coulson’s 20-yard lob restored Traf’s two-goal lead, and, with the home side pushing for a goal, Coulson hit them on the break to secure Traf’s spot in the next round.

West Pier 3 (Speight 2, Bradshaw) Commercial 0

West Pier also booked their spot in the next round of the Kenward Cup with a 3-0 home win against division two promotion-chasers Commercial.

The visitors were without their star player, former Boro striker Mikey Barker, but Pier also had several players ruled out so the visitors started strongly and had the better of the opening half-hour.

Pier’s class soon told though, with Rob Speight opening the scoring with a clinical strike after fine approach play from super-sub Jamie Towse, and the veteran also had a hand in the second goal, Jamie Bradshaw floating his shot into the net after being teed up by Towse - who was brought on after only 20 minutes due to an injury to fellow stalwart Dave Crawford.

Both sides piled forward after the interval, but it was Pier who made sure of their passage into the next round, some clever work from Ryan Colling allowing him the opening to cross for Speight to head in his second of the game.

Star man for the visitors was midfielder Aaron Birley, the whole Pier team being praised for their efforts by boss Paddy Parke.

Sunday League

Division one

Trafalgar 15 Cayton 1

Trafalgar cut the gap on leaders Newlands Park with a storming home win against lowly Cayton.

Division two

Castle 0 Angel 8 (Rose 2, Galway, Matson, Seymour, Stringer, McCallion, Jones)

Angel soared into fourth spot in division two with an 8-0 success at Castle.

Curtis Rose scored twice for Bob Fairline’s troops, with Ryan Matson, James Seymour, Richard Stringer, Aiden McCallion, Luke Jones and Dave Galway - after only 20 seconds - also netting for the victors.

Fylingdales Reserves 0 Whitby Wanderers 1 (Kilpatrick)

Whitby Wanderers strengthened their promotion claims with a hard-earned 1-0 win at a bolstered Fylingdales Reserves line-up.

The hosts were helped by the presence of numerous first-teamers, but this did not halt the visitors’ attacking style.

In the 15th minute Dom Wilson turned Dan Smith to go through on goal, and he squared to Mikey Kilpatrick who slotted home.

Wanderers’ hopes were dented five minutes after the interval when they were reduced to 10 men, Jericho Keys being given his marching orders for using foul language.

The away team battled hard to hang on for the win, with centre-back Joe Leadley the man of the match for Mark Jackson’s team.

Tennyson Reserves 1 (Johnson) Heslerton 3 (Blanchard 3)

A Daniel Blanchard hat-trick steered Heslerton to a fine 3-1 win at Tennyson Reserves.

Blanchard scored all his goals in the first half, Billy-Jo Johnson pulling a goal back for Tennyson after the interval.

Centre-back Nick Schofield and Blanchard were the men of the match for the villagers, with James Galashan the star man for Tony Walker’s home team.

Alma 2 West Pier Reserves 7 (Midgley 3, one pen, Weetman 2, Bell, Reid)

West Pier Reserves’ Luke Midgley smacked in a hat-trick to help his side finish the year on a high note, winning 7-2 at Alma.

The home side took a sixth-minute lead, but Pier soon levelled when star man Midgley raced down the left flank and beat a couple of home defenders before shooting past the keeper and into the net.

Pier then missed four clear chances to go in front, but finally took the lead in the 22nd minute when another mazy run from the impressive Midgley saw him break through and shoot powerfully past the Alma keeper.

Just before half-time Chris Weetman made it 3-1, firing in after a penetrating run down the right wing.

Midgley completed his hat-trick early in the second half from the penalty spot after Rob Farnell had been fouled in the area.

Man of the match Midgley then turned provider for the fifth goal, with yet another surge down the left setting up Graeme Reid to force the ball home.

Nick Bell smashed in the sixth after he had worked some space on the right side of the penalty area, and Weetman’s second secured the points for Pier.

Alma struck a late second consolation for the home side.

As well as Midgley, 50-year-old right-back Andy Spivey was also singled out for special praise by boss Andy Goodwin.