Sunday League: Drew pounces to deny Pier

Sunday League round-up
Sunday League round-up

A last-gasp Drew McCoubrey leveller denied West Pier three points against title-challengers Newlands.

Neither side could break the deadlock in a tight first half, but Newlands were reduced to 10 men after Dan Freer was sent off for dissent.

Pier took advantage and led 1-0 after Cameron Dobson scored, but they were denied maximum points by McCoubrey's last gasp leveller.

Newlands boss Ben Luntley singled out defender Ricky Nock as his side's man of the match, while Pier boss Paddy Parke was impressed by his entire team's performance.

Newlands' draw meant that Trafalgar could extend their lead at the top of the table with victory at Commercial, and they did just that with a 4-0 success.

In-form Commercial made life difficult for their table-topping visitors and scores were tied at 0-0 heading into the break.

Traf eventually found some rhythm and second half goals from Dean Craig, Sean Exley, Niall Gibb and Georgie Rose handed Liam Salt's men a 4-0 win.

Commercial boss Geoff Osguthorpe singled out Neil Forsyth as his side's man of the match in a battling team performance.

Rock-bottom Barrowcliff pulled off a huge shock and picked up their first points of the season at the 10th attempt with a 2-1 win against Heslerton.

Jon Stockill's free-kick in the first half and a back-post tap-in after 75 minutes from Mark Craven handed Barrowcliff their maiden win of the season.

Tony Walker's side moved onto zero points with their win, having been sat on minus three for the majority of the campaign.

Walker picked out Ryan Wood as their star man at left-back.

Heslerton's solitary goal came courtesy of Tom Peel, which had put his side 1-0 up, while boss Dean Storry picked out central midfielder Rob Green as his side's only bright spark in an otherwise poor performance.

In the battle of the top two in Division Two, Trafalgar Reserves beat Ayton 2-0 to leapfrog their opponents into top spot.

Goals from player-boss Mikey Barker and Curtis Rose settled the top-of-the-table contest in poor playing conditions at Oliver's Mount.

Ayton boss Mark Plumpton said: "Our back three of Liam Glaves, Brad Parkin and Stu Wilson were excellent, we just didn't create anything going forward."

At the other end of the table, second-from-bottom Alma beat third-from-bottom Scarborough Campus 3-2.

Alma started the game on the front foot and Craig Moss opened the scoring after beating the Campus keeper at his near post.

Campus responded as Paul Hill equalised, but Moss again beat the Campus keeper at his near post with a carbon-copy of his first goal to once again hand his side the lead.

Scores were level at the break though, Michael Stables netting their second equaliser of the opening 45 minutes.

Campus had a glorious chance to go ahead after 80 minutes when they were awarded a penalty, but George Thompson made a complete mess of the spot-kick and sent it wide.

Five minutes later Campus were punished as a long Brad Easton free-kick was met by the head of Alma player-boss Phil Clothier, who headed up and over the keeper to claim the win.

Clothier said: "It was a really strong team performance against a tough Campus side. I'm very proud of the whole team but Moss, left-back Tom Gavin and Dan Bateson all impressed."

Campus player-boss Hill singled out Jack Moore and Sam Gowland as his side's star men.

Newlands Reserves won 3-1 at Roscoes Bar.

An Eric Hall screamer, goalkeeper Shem Atkinson's penalty and a Dan Sheader goal handed Newlands a 3-0 lead before Matty Rowley's consolation strike from inside his own half late on.

Atkinson impressed in goal for Newlands and was their man of the match.

Roscoes boss Lee Paterson said: "It was a poor performance all round from us. We just didn't turn up."

Crown Tavern and Cayton shared the spoils after a 1-1 draw.

Ste Molloy's strike put Tavern ahead after an hour but Dean Byerley grabbed Cayton's equaliser and was named their man of the match.

Kyle Ireland was Tavern's star man.