SUNDAY LEAGUE: Newlands and Ayton set up Kenward final clash

editorial image

Newlands and Ayton won their Kenward Cup semi-finals against West Pier and Roscoes Bar respectively to set up a final clash next month.

Newlands dominated their semi-final at first division rivals West Pier, and only a string of fine saves from Pier keeper Jon Hyde kept his side in the cup clash.

Drew McCoubrey opened the scoring on 25 minutes from the penalty spot, awarded for a handball by Martin Cooper from a free-kick.

Hyde pulled off five great saves to deny Newlands in the opening 45 minutes, while Jamie Gallagher also hit the post and joint player-boss Ryan Cooper missed an open goal.

The Pier goalkeeper continued to frustrate the visitors after the break and it took a stunning strike from McCoubrey on 75 minutes to secure the win for Newlands.

In the final minute Luke Delve headed in a consolation for Pier from a free-kick.

That was my proudest moment as a football manager, the lads all deserve to share the man of the match award

Ayton player-manager Mark Plumpton

Joint-manager Ben Luntley said: “We played very well today and with some better finishing could have won a lot easier.

“Drew McCoubrey was the man of the match for a fine match up front, while Michael Wilson also deserves a mention for a strong display in the defensive central midfield role, he put in a lot of fine challenges.”

Pier chief Paddy Parke added: “We were never really in the game and only seven super saves from our man of the match Jon Hyde kept us in it.”

Ayton fought back from a goal down to earn a 2-1 home win against second division rivals Roscoes Bar in a thrilling cup semi-final.

The visitors opened the scoring in an evenly-contested first half, when Dan Parker cut in from the right, beat two men and slotted under the keeper from inside the box.

Both sides continued to push on after the break, but Ayton player-boss Mark Plumpton decided to bring on Mike Grayshan and James Reddish to try and get back into the game and the duo made an instant impact.

Ryan Wilson sent in a free-kick and Reddish headed the ball back across goal for Grayshan to head home the leveller.

Ayton went close to going ahead shortly after this but scuffed their shot wide, and with 10 minutes left Roscoes’ Carl Hepples had a volley saved and in the 88th minute he put a half-volley wide.

The hosts pushed forward in the closing moments and won two throws in quick succession, despite the protests from Roscoes claiming that it had come off an Ayton man on both occasions, and the ball was hurled into the Roscoes box.

A Roscoes defender failed to clear the ball and Niall Prentice had an effort blocked but Daniel Bywater turned neatly to fire in the rebound and spark the Ayton celebrations. The hosts held on for the final few minutes to seal their spot in the final.

Ayton player-boss Mark Plumpton said: “That was my proudest moment as a football manager, the lads all deserve to share the man of the match award.”

Roscoes Bar boss Lee Paterson said: “The game was played well by both teams but feel these two throw-in decisions, one was clear, led to their winning goal. I feel robbed, we played well and didn’t deserve to lose this game.”

Trafalgar extended their lead at the top of the Scarborough News Sunday League first division to five points with a 12-2 win at Fylingdales.

Billy Logan banged in five goals, while Mikey Barker also fired in a brace.

The other scorers were Jamie Patterson, man of the match Gary Jordan, Alec Coulson and two own goals.

Fylingdales star man Paul Watson and Sam Richardson notched for the villagers.

Heslerton boosted their second division promotion challenge with a 9-0 win at Hull University Scarborough Campus.

Scott Bown led the way with four goals, with Dan Blanchard, sub Nick Schofield, Mikey Webster and Josh Beach also on target.

Heslerton boss Dean Storry said: “Our star players were keeper Lewis Smith, who saved a penalty, central midfielder Mikey Clark and centre-back Ross Flinton.

“Credit has to be given to the Hull Uni lads as they kept battling away and were only 2-0 down at the break.”

Champions Trafalgar Reserves won 7-1 at home to Alma.

Jack Pinder, Wayne Shaw and Jordan Aitkens scored a brace apiece with player-boss Andy Noon scoring the pick of the bunch from 35 yards.

Player-manager Phil Clothier netted Alma’s consolation to make it 3-1, heading home from close range after Phil Clarke’s corner was headed back by Nick Prew.

Noon said: “Kyle O’Toole was out man of the match today, he had a very good game at centre-back.”

Clothier added: “I want to thank all my players for their efforts this season in what has been another tough season.

“Men of the match for me today were Jordan Wood in goal and Matthew Speight at right-back. But everyone has played their part this season and should be proud of what they have achieved.”

Newlands Reserves continued their fine form with a 4-1 win at Cayton Corinthians.

Jacob Flisnik opened the scoring for Rich Curtis’ side with a 20-yard effort which went in off the post, and then Mark Craven smashed in a 30-yard strike after latching onto a long clearance from Curtis.

Jon Best reduced the deficit for Cayton with a free-kick but another goal apiece from Flisnick and Craven sealed the win for Newlands.

Lukas Dros was named as man of the match for Newlands.

The game between West Riding and Scarborough Spa was abandoned after 55 minutes with the hosts leading 8-0.

Spa started with eight men, one walked off at half-time and when another picked up an injury 10 minutes into the second half, ref Andy Thorpe had to call the game off as you need seven players to fulfil a fixture.

Jacob Codling and Luke Jones netted two goals apiece for Riding, who can still claim promotion to division one, with Alistair Jennings, Kyle Ireland, Aiden McCallion and Ryan Matson also on target.

The Sunday League will now have to decide if the result stands, as usually 70 minutes of a game must have been player.