Sunday League: Strongwood hang on for shoot-out win

Catch more Sunday football reports, fixtures and tables in Thursday's Scarborough News
Catch more Sunday football reports, fixtures and tables in Thursday's Scarborough News

There were goals galore in the Sunday league and cup games this weekend, with Strongwood claiming a penalty shoot-out win against it is it is in a thrilling Kenward Cup clash at Oliver’s Mount.

Strongwood 2 (Purvis, Walker) it is it is 2 (Wood, Watson) aet, Strongwood won 3-0 on penalties

Second division it is it is put up a great effort before finally succumbing to top-flight Strongwood in this highly entertaining Kenward Cup first round clash at a soggy Oliver’s Mount.

In an end-to-end match it was Strongwood who took the lead through a close-range shot from Luke Prurvis after some intricate build-up play.

The second division side refused to submit and levelled through Gav Wood’s clinical finish after a fine run and cross from Danny Thomas.

Neither side could break through in the second half so the game went to extra-time, and in the opening period Strongwood regained their lead through Sam Walker’s shot.

Again it is it is levelled, this time, JP Watson firing the ball into the net past Strongwood keeper Chris Garton.

Penalties followed, and the first division side dominated, with Purvis, Dom Barber and John Grayston all firing in and the it is it is lads failing ot net any of their three - Garton saving Matty Miller’s opener, followed by Wood skying his shot over the bar and Paul Oldroyd hitting the bar.

All the it is it is side shared their man-of-the-match award for a fine team effort, while Walker, Purvis and Garton were the victors’ star men.

West Pier 1 (Bell) Seamer 1 (Jones)

Pier’s title hopes were dashed by a 1-1 home draw against Seamer.

The villagers opened the scoring on the half-hour mark with a great solo run and finish from Luke Jones.

This was a deserved lead as the visitors had the better of the first half, but after the interval Pier dominated and eventually broke the dogged Seamer rearguard with 15 minutes remaining, Dave Bell’s clever flicked header - his first for the club - earning a point for the hosts.

Seamer keeper James Burrows was their man of the match for a string of outstanding saves, while centre-backs Josh Clayton and James Wardle excelled for Pier.

Ayton 3 (Duggan 2, Bywater) West Pier Res 5 (Garton, Weetman, Dugdale, Coupland, Bell)

West Pier Reserves earned their first division two win of the season at Ayton despite a stirring second-half comeback from Mark Plumpton’s village side.

Mark Tucker’s troops went ahead in the 20th minute thanks to a Rich Garton header, and Chris Weetman made it 2-0 with a fine finish after good approach play from Mike Dugdale.

The visitors looked to be coasting to victory when, five minutes before the break, Tucker found Damian Howarth and his pass was fired in first time from 16 yards out by Dugdale for the goal of the game.

Ayton switched from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 in the second half, and this soon paid off as two quick goals from teenage striker TJ Duggan made it 3-2.

His first goal was a powerful shot after Dan Bywater crossed in, while his second was a thunderbolt header from 15 yards, set up by a superb pass from Ayton’s man of the match Liam Glaves, who had surged upfield from left-back.

Duggan then had an ideal chance to level but he missed the target and this proved to be the turning point of the game, as five minutes later sub Simon Coupland netted with his first touch for his new club, firing in after Nick Bell’s inch-perfect cross.

Coupland completed a dream debut by setting up Bell to crack in Pier’s fifth goal.

Bywater marked a fine individual display with a solo run and shot to make it 5-3, but Ayton had left themselves with too much to do after a sluggish first 45 minutes.

Frank Taal was man of the match for Pier, playing in goal for the first time in two years.

Fylingdales 3 Trafalgar Reserves 4 (Shaw 2, A Coulson, Ramm) - abandoned after 80 minutes due to injury

A broken leg suffered by a home player saw this game called off with just 10 minutes remaining,

An Alec Coulson strike and a fine finish from Joel Ramm - after fine approach play from Chris Dove - put Traf 2-0 up at half-time.

The villagers won a penalty straight from the kick-off in the second half, and this was converted to make it 2-1 and give them hope of a comeback.

Wayne Shaw restored Traf’s lead, and although Fylingdales struck a second, Shaw scored again to make it 4-2. When Fylingdales scored again the scene was set for a thrilling finale, but 10 minutes from time, a Fylingdales player suffered a broken leg after a 50/50 challenge, and as the ambulance was expected to take 40 minutes to arrive, the hosts agreed to call the game to an early halt.

Right-back Chris Bowman was man of the match for Traf Reserves.

Sun 2 (Allen, Paterson) West Riding 3 (R Link, Tolliday, J Ledden pen)

Teenage debutant James Ledden won the game for a depleted Riding in this end-to-end clash.

Ryan Link headed in a free-kick from player-boss Billy Johnson to put the visitors - who were missing eight players - ahead and early in the second halfLink’s pass set up Rich Tolliday to make it 2-0 with a fine solo run and finish.

The hosts refused to give in and they pulled a goal back through a George Allen strike, then a thumping free-kick from Lee Paterson levelled the scores.

Riding keeper Alex Dewer, 16, who had stepped up from the reserves, pulled off three outstanding saves to keep his side in the game as Sun piled on the pressure, but it was Johnson’s troops who won the game, with new boy Ledden being fouled in the penalty area and firing in the spot-kick himself.

Dewer still had to make another top save from Liam Bucham to keep his side ahead, and the teenager shared the man-of-the-match award with Ledden. Allen was Sun’s man of the match.

Cayton Corinthians 2 (Stabler, Sixsmith) West Riding Res 1 (J Martin)

Cayton boosted their promotion hopes in division three with a hard-earned home win against West Riding Reserves on a very boggy Station Road pitch.

The hosts edged ahead in the first half thanks to a storming free-kick from veteran Daz Stabler, his effort fizzing into the top corner of the net.

Riding pulled a goal back 10 minutes into the second half when a counter-attack allowed Adam Martin to shoot, his effort was parried by the Cayton keeper and Adam’s older brother John forced the ball home from close-range.

Both sides were now looking for the crucial goal, but just as the game seemed destined for a draw, Cayton man of the match Shaun Rennison found teenage striker Tom Sixsmith and he fired the ball home to net all three points for Cayton.

Riding boss Jono Pashby said: “We played superbly and deserved a draw from that game, I think all 11 of my players and my sub all deserve the man-of-the-match award as they gave 100 per cent out there on a very difficult surface against a very good side.”