SUNDAY LEAGUE: Top guns pull clear

editorial image
Share this article

Leaders Newlands, Klosters and Trafalgar all claimed wins to pull further clear of the chasing pack in the Scarborough News Sunday League, while Trafalgar Reserves worked hard for a 3-1 win at Castle to stay on top of the second division.

Scarborough News Sunday League

Division one

Newlands 11 (McCoubrey 5, R Cooper 4, Moon, Bates) Cayton Corinthians 0

Drew McCoubrey hit five goals and Ryan Cooper smacked in four as leaders Newlands hammered Cayton 11-0.

Stu Bates and Stefan Moon also netted for Newlands, the latter scoring the goal of the game, a stunning 20-yard half-volley that fizzed into the top corner of the net.

Itis Itis 1 (Meads) Klosters 4 (Rigg, L Vasey, Scales, own goal)

Klosters worked hard for a 4-1 win at Itis Itis that keeps them in third spot, seven points of closest rivals Fylingdales.

In a very even first half, Klosters edged ahead just before half-hour mark. Georgie Rose picked up a loose ball following a corner, his cross was helped on by Sam Garnett to Simon Rigg at the back post who forced it in off the post first time.

Itis Itis equalised two minutes before half-time when Phil Meads headed home powerfully after good work by Mikey Pickering.

Twenty seconds after the re-start a flowing, passing move resulted in Mark Vasey setting up Liam Vasey to make it 2-1.

Mark Vasey then won a penalty but scuffed the spot kick wide.

Tom Scales made it 3-1 in the 75th minute when he beat the offside and slotted home and an own goal late on rounded things off.

Stand-in keeper Andy Wardell made a number of important saves when the game was still in the balance and the midfield duo of Garnett and Carl Townley also did well for Rhys Howell’s charges.

Trafalgar 9 (Jenkinson 3, Ramm 2, Logan 2, Tate, Sheader) Filey Flyers 1

Second-placed Trafalgar maintained their 100 per cent record with a 9-1 win at home to Filey Flyers, Luke Jenkinson banging in a treble for the home side.

Joel Ramm and Billy Logan also banged in two goals each, with Mike Tate and Alex Sheader netting one apiece to complete the rout.

Young left-back Nathan Bulfield was named as man of the match for an outstanding Traf debut.

Division two

Castle 1 (Henderson own goal) Traf Res 3 (J Pinder 2, J Wray)

A Jack Pinder double helped Trafalgar Reserves earn a 3-1 win at a much-improved Castle side.

When the two sides met earlier in the season, Traf coasted to a 10-0 win, but the home team have stepped up a gear in recent weeks and this continued as they competed well in this game.

It took a cracking team move, finished off by Pinder, to put Traf in front, and Jamie Wray slid in at the back post to double the visitors’ lead before half-time.

Joint player-boss Andy Noon came on at half-time to help bolster the visitors’ attack, but it was the home side who struck next, full-back Kurtis Henderson the unfortunate Traf player to force the ball into his own net.

Despite Castle mounting a sustained spell of pressure Traf restored their two-goal lead thanks to Pinder’s second goal of the game.

Central midfielder Dane Ramos was named as man of the match for Traf, with Henderson pushing him close.

Noon said: “Castle have improved a great deal since the start of the season, they battled hard throughout the game and put us under a lot of pressure.”

Fylingdales Reserves 1 (Myers) Newlands Reserves 0

Fylingdales Reserves cause a major shock by beating third-placed Newlands Reserves 1-0, the nine-man villagers having lost 18-1 to Commercial the previous week.

‘Dales, who were bolstered by several first-teamers as they were without a game, started well and played some nice football from the start, with centre-backs Ryan Cook and Neil Purves solid at the back.

The breakthrough came in the second half when Dan Myers latched onto a sublime pass from Purves to score.

‘Dales kept up the pressure and could have scored more, as Dave Welham hit the bar and James Noble had two good shots saved for the last five minutes.

Newlands tried their best to get an equaliser but the home defence stood firm with left-back Jack Pearce having a great game in a cracking team performance.

Boss Dave Gaddass said: “They looked like a totally different team, with quite a few first-teamers in there. We did not play too well, but keeper Callum Myers and Paul Mills, who started at right midfield and dropped back to right-back, both had good games.”

Angel 3 (Jones 2, Galway) Ayton 0 - played at Ayton

Angel kept their promotion ambitions on track with a 3-0 win at Ayton.

A Luke Jones double and Dave Galway’s effort saw off the below-par villagers, with Josh Foley the man of the match for Angel.

Alma 1 Commercial 11 (Foy 6, James 2, Barker, Ward, Webster)

Sam Foy’s six-goal haul steered fourth-placed Commercial to a 11-1 win at Alma.

Foy, playing in only his second game for the visitors, was a constant menace to the home defence.

Adam James also banged in two goals for Geoff Osguthorpe’s troops, with Mikey Barker, Rob Ward and Ricky Webster also on target.

Osguthorpe said: “We played well and could have got a lot more. Special mention has to go to hot-shot Foy - it was only his second game for us and he was excellent. Great going forward and a goal threat and got his deserved rewards.”

Heslerton 1 Tennyson Reserves 2 (Hodgson, McGough)

Tennyson Reserves earned a good 2-1 win at Heslerton to edge closer to the top half of the table.

Heslerton went ahead after 18 minutes, good work down the left wing resulting in a corner, from which they scored at back post.

Tennyson then piled on the pressure for the rest of the half, culminating in a shot from Kevin Hodgson just inside the Heslerton half from the right, seeing the home keeper off his line Hodgson chipped him from 50 yards with a Beckham-style effort.

The second half was end-to-end with Tennyson making the vital breakthrough with 25 minutes left to play, Martyn Ferrey pasted a great ball out to Joe Sunter on the left edge of the Heslerton box, Sunter put a great first-time ball across the area and debutant Jonny McGough, who had travelled 2,000 miles back on leave to play the game, to volley in at the far post. Heslerton pushed for an equaliser hitting the crossbar in the final minutes but Tennyson held on for a hard-fought win.