Traf Reserves and Heslerton net cup wins

Traf keeper Chris Garton safely collects from a Ayton corner.152138c.
Traf keeper Chris Garton safely collects from a Ayton corner.152138c.

Trafalgar Reserves and Heslerton moved through to the Kenward Cup quarter-finals with wins against 10-man Ayton and Fylingdales Reserves respectively.

Danny Glendinning put Mikey Barker’s Traf second string in front at Clarence Drive against Division Two title rivals Ayton.

Joe Mills jumps clear of a Grant Ellwell challenge. 152138d.

Joe Mills jumps clear of a Grant Ellwell challenge. 152138d.

A Luke Jones put Traf in the driving seat by the half-time interval but Ayton rallied after the interval to pull it back to 3-2.

Danny Appleby nutmegged the home keeper to make it 3-1 and a cracking left-foot volley from Tom Wilde in the 84th minute set up a nervy finale for the hosts.

Super-sub Dave Bell quashed Ayton’s cup hopes with a late double strike to take Traf into the last eight of the competition.

Second division Fylingdales Reserves made Division One high-flyers Heslerton battle for a 5-3 win.

Trafs Luke Jones keeps possession under pressure. 152138f.

Trafs Luke Jones keeps possession under pressure. 152138f.

Tom Shrimpton put the hosts in front and they managed to hold onto this lead until the hour mark.

A Dan Smith own goal brought the scores level and the same player then under-hit a back pass to allow Dan Blanchard to pounce and fire home to put Heslerton ahead.

Fylingdales equalised through Adam Lorains, but Heslerton struck three more goals in swift succession from corners to surge into a 5-2 lead.

Josh Beach scored two direct from corners while Gareth Driver converted a third Beach corner.

Traf Res Luke Jones races in to the Ayton area. 152138b.

Traf Res Luke Jones races in to the Ayton area. 152138b.

Dom Morgan struck a third for the home side but it was too late to save them from defeat.

Harry Purves was the man of the match for Fylingdales, while centre-back James Tadman was Heslerton’s star man, with Beach and defender Aiden Smith also starring for Dean Storry’s team.

Newlands striker Stew Bates banged in five goals as his side surged to a 9-0 Sunday FA Cup win at Division Two side Cayton Corinthians.

Bates banged in the first four goals, man of the match Jack Ramos adding the fifth and Mark Wade smacking in a sixth before half-time.

Wade and Aiden Thomas netted after the interval, Bates’ fifth completing the rout.

Damon Cook was named as the man of the match for the hosts after putting in a battling performance.

A Lee Brennan hat-trick helped Division Two title-chasers FILO to a 4-2 win at Newlands Reserves.

Striker Brennan fired in the first two goals for a depleted Whitby side, Benn Sullivan adding a third before half-time, smashing the ball home past stand-in keeper Shem Atkinson after a superb run from left-back.

Brennan completed his hat-trick after the interval to seal the win, but the hosts refused to submit and three new signings from Division One side Itis Itis United linked up to give Newlands hope.

Debutant Tom Sutherland, who played on the left flank in the first half and the right after the interval, set up Aiden McCallion, another ex-United player to rifle in the first goal for Newlands.

The other new signing, Ryan Matson, scored the second goal, a deflected free-kick, to reduce the arrears for Newlands.

Sutherland was named as man of the match for an excellent debut, while central midfielder Jordan Purvis was star man for FILO with a cracking display in the engine room.

Both sides missed penalties with the score at 4-0, Dean Andrews skying over for Newlands and keeper Atkinson saving FILO’s effort.

Roscoes Bar kept their slim chances of promotion alive with a 4-1 win at Crown Tavern.

The visitors opened the scoring when good work from Jamie Wray and Lee Sutton down the left set up Graeme Farrah to fire into the bottom corner of the net with his left foot from the edge of the box.

Then, after a scramble in the penalty area, Tom Allen’s shot was deflected past the keeper to make it 2-0.

Tavern hit back with a cracking 35-yard shot from central midfielder Ryan Jones after Roscoes had lost possession near the centre circle.

With the strong wind at their back, the away team had several more chances to score, Gary Hepples hitting the bar with an open goal and Martin Hadrick sliding in hitting the post from a yard out.

After the interval Gary Hepples got played through one on one and dinked the ball over the keeper to make it 3-1.

The fourth goal and final goal was slotted under the Tavern keeper by Gary Hepples, set up by his brother Carl Hepples, the second-half sub making amends for missing an open goal.

Centre-back Martin Hadrick was the Roscoes man of the match, as he won everything in the air and on the floor, while Kyle Ireland was the star man for Tavern.