Trafalgar Reserves beat Spa to secure title

editorial image

Trafalgar Reserves’ 7-1 win at Scarborough Spa saw them secure the Scarborough News Sunday League second division title for the third season running.

Traf were handed the title as West Riding, the only team who could catch them, suffered a 4-2 home loss against Fylingdales Reserves.

Al Wray banged in a hat-trick for Traf, while Jamie Wray, player-boss Andy Noon, Taylor Jordan and Jordan Aitken, from the penalty spot, completed the comfortable win for the visitors.

Traf have now won 17 games and only lost two in the league, and Noon is hoping his side can cap their title win with a home success against Riding on Sunday March 22, gaining revenge for their defeat at the hands of James Prethero’s team last weekend in the Goalsports Trophy.

Fylingdales Reserves came back from 2-0 down to claim the win at West Riding, the hosts finishing the game with 10 men due to a knee injury suffered by Mark Wade.

The village club were on top in the first half and only a string of fine saves from Riding player-manager James Prethero kept Fylingdales at bay, and Jack South then scored for the home side to give them a slender half-time lead.

James Burrows, whois Riding’s first-choice keeper but was forced to play outfield, made it 2-0 with a cracking finish from an indirect free-kick.

This seemed to spark Fylingdales into life and they pulled a goal back through Dave Smith, and when Wade was forced off through injury, reducing the hosts to 10 men, the villagers romped into a 4-2 lead through a Ben Thompson brace and a Jake Faichney penalty.

Man of the match for Fylingdales was central midfielder Josh Hopley.

Heslerton surged into third spot thanks to a 7-2 home win against fellow high-flyers Cayton Corinthians.

Man of the match Dan Blanchard smashed in four goals for the victors, with Gareth Driver, Mikey Clarke and Tom Peel also netting for Dean Storry’s side. Right-winger Josh Hunter, 17, had an impressive game for the home side.

Harry Holden netted both of Cayton’s goals.

Roscoes Bar suffered a surprise 2-1 defeat at Hull Uni.

The students opened the scoring on 25 minutes with a fierce strike into the top corner of the goal, and despite their best efforts the visitors failed to level before the interval.

Lee Paterson’s side piled on the pressure at the start of the first half sand their persistence paid off when the Uni keeper brought down Tom Allen and Matty Rowley fired in the resulting penalty-kick.

Five minutes later Martin Hadrick pulled a ball back from the byline and Mark Kenyon fired over the bar from six yards out and the latter also put a free header over the bar.

These missed chances proved costly as the students regained their lead when a long-range shot slipped through the grasp of keeper George Allen in the 70th minute.

Roscoes continued to push on looking for a leveller but the Uni defence stood firm and the hosts collected all three points.