Andrew races to junior glory


The forecast of heavy April showers did not deter a large crowd from assembling at the Hunmanby Raceway for the second round of the championships of Scarborough Autograss Club.

The rain failed to materialise and as the sun shone the racing got hotter as the day wore on with some wheel-to-wheel racing which saw a large amount of paint-swapping in all classes.



Teenage brothers Andrew and Callum Ashby showed great rivalry in the juniors with Andrew getting the upper hand in a final which saw Josh Stonehouse make his racing debut.

Wes Green’s defence of his Junior special title continued to gain momentum with another set of heats and final wins.

Having enjoyed good fortunes last time out Abigail Ford’s confidence was at an all-time high and will have been boosted even more with another successful meeting, earning a hat-trick of wins in her heats and final.

While her dad, Andy took a good haul of points in the ultra competitive Class Twos.



Jeffrey Taylor kick-started his campaign with some productive driving that saw him bring home a fair share of the points.

Daniel Broughton and Danny Tebbut went back to Whitby with some good results between them although Daniel’s afternoon nearly came unstuck when his bonnet came loose and threatened to wreck his final.

The race of the day had to be the Class Two final which as usual was dominated by Swinton brothers Robert and Jack Farrow.

But local racer Daniel Fisher had probably one of his greatest races ever when he spent the whole of the final racing wheel- to-wheel with Jon White, of Bridlington, that will have left both cars with a large amount of each other’s paintwork.

Club chairman John Lawson brushed the dust off his goggles and blew the cobwebs out of his crash helmet to make a welcome return to racing.

Keith Featherstone and brothers James and David Lancaster were all winners in the open- wheeled specials until James’ afternoon was curtailed by mechanical problems.

Leanne Huschka and James Ballantyne had a three-hour trip from Penrith in Cumbria and made a good impression on the locals with their firm but fair driving skills that brought them both success.

The duo vowed to return for the next meeting on Easter Sunday.