Pirates fight back to hold Bulldogs

LEVELLER ... Josh Collin
LEVELLER ... Josh Collin

SCARBOROUGH Pirates under-17s fought back for a 30-30 draw at home to Wetherby Bulldogs in a thrilling game at Oliver’s Mount.

The game started with a minute’s silence for Joe Roberts-Anderson, the 17-year-old who passed away last week.

ORANGE CRUSH ... Tom Orange is tackled

ORANGE CRUSH ... Tom Orange is tackled

All the Scarborough players also wore black armbands in memory of Joe, who many of the teenage Pirates knew.

The game kicked off with a try from the visitors, which was converted.

Scarborough then went over with a try scored by Jack Lang, and Jamie Cornish then scored a try after some brilliant tackles to take the score to 8-6.

The Bulldogs roared back into action with a couple more tries, taking the score to 14-8.

Ten minutes before half-time, Liam Braithwaite broke through the Wetherby defensive line and scored following another fantastic run by Cornish, who then scored his second try after running the full length of the pitch.

This meant that the Pirates led 18-14 at the half-time interval. The Bulldogs refused to roll over and showed spirit by scoring another converted try early in the second half to make it 20-18 to the visitors.

The game was now starting to get very close as both teams looked to gain the edge.

Josh Collin then went over the try-line to put the Pirates back in front, with Ali Paddock’s conversion making it 24-20.

The see-saw nature of the game continued when two more Bulldogs tries made it 30-24 to the Wetherby outfit with only a few minutes left on the clock.

Cornish completed his hat-trick of tries to pull it back to 30-28, leaving Paddock to stay calm under pressure and score the all-important conversion to draw the scores level.

Pirates coach Mal Collin said: “There were some fantastic tries and tackles from both sides.

“Nathan Hakings, Tom Reed, Tom Orange, Josh McNeil and Ben Owram all managed to break through the Wetherby defensive line.”