An early picture of Scarborough Harbour with Scarborough lighthouse in the distance.
Scarborough’s first lighthouse was ordered to be built by the harbour commissioners at a meeting they held at the Bull Inn in September 1806. At first, a coal brazier was used on the top platform but was soon found to be impractical and was replaced by six tallow candles set in a tin behind a window. A watchman stood by to renew or relight the candles.
For reprints telephone 0330 1230203 and quote reference number YRN-180511-114700050.