Death crash probe launched

The aftermath of the horror crash in Ganton last May
The aftermath of the horror crash in Ganton last May

A Scarborough Police investigation has been launched after a drink driver was let off with a “friendly warning”, 
before going on to kill a pensioner in a horror crash.

Last month, nightclub boss Steven Hey was jailed for six years for causing the death of “magnificent” 80-year-old Dorothy Brookes, in a tragic head-on smash in Ganton last May.

Steven Hey

Steven Hey

Now it has been revealed that North Yorkshire Police’s Professional Standards Department is looking into how Hey, who had downed beer and vodka in the early hours of that fateful day, was allowed to kill the great-grandmother after leaving Seamer with just the warning.

And a drink-driving campaigner said the police have a lot to answer for, after a court heard the officer failed to force Hey to blow on a breathalyser – which she feels could have saved the Hartlepool woman’s life.

“Even though they didn’t cause the collision, it seems that they could have easily stopped it – it’s an unbelievable failing from the police,” said Carole Whittingham, who lost her son to a drink driver more than 20 years ago.

“Not every police officer carries a breathalyser, but even if they didn’t have one, they should have waited for one rather than just letting him drive away and kill – it’s inexcusable.”

And she added: “If the officer is found to be at fault, I’d expect nothing less than the sack.”

Hey was jailed on Valentine’s Day, having previously admitted causing Mrs Brookes’ death.

At the York Crown Court sentencing hearing, Judge Stephen Ashurst said Hey must have been “astonished” the Scarborough officer didn’t give him a roadside breath test.

CCTV cameras had already captured him staggering into his car, and despite driving on an “outrageous” mixture of alcohol and no sleep, he was 
allowed on his way.

The police received reports of him driving erratically on the A64, and eventually he fell asleep at the wheel, killing the pensioner and injuring other members of her family.

Following the sentencing, Traffic Sergeant Hamish Halloway said the six-year stretch would give Hey “ample” time to reflect on his actions.

However, in an emotional plea in court, Mrs Brookes’ daughter Karen Thorburn demanded the maximum 14-year sentence for Hey’s crime, a sentence that to the annoyance of Mrs Whittingham was not handed down.

“What is it going to take for somebody to get it?” she added.

Confirming the investigation, a spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said: “As it is still ongoing it would not be appropriate to provide any further comment until this investigation has concluded.”