Boro cling on at Glossop

There were few Hallowe’en tricks or treats for the travelling Scarborough Athletic fans on Saturday, but the fight-filled goalless draw certainly showed plenty of spirit.

Bryan Hughes and Paul Foot’s side were forced to cling on at the end as Glossop went for the jugular, but when the smoke cleared new keeper Erik Bukran emerged with clean-sheet intact and Boro’s unbeaten run was stretched to three matches.

Two changes were made from the victory at Trafford that ended the lengthy barren run. Hull City youngster Bukran came in for Joe Cracknell, who had headed back to Bradford City, and Ryan Blott dropped to the bench with Alex Peterson taking his place.

Boro’s formation of one up front wasn’t one to send the shivers up the spine of Glossop, but the solidity made the visitors a tough task to break down.

The game crept away to the slowest of starts and a stalemate looked to be a formatility, though there were a few thrills and spills to follow.

Glossop striker Jamie Rainford created most of these in the moments that followed, as he twice ghosted in behind the Boro back-line, but both of his finishes sailed just wide of the target.

A storm was brewing in another part of the pitch, as Boro’s Gary Bradshaw and Glossop man Andy Smart seemed to take an instant dislike to each other.

After some shoving, a push in the face and what seemed like an imaginitive wrestling manoeuvre, both found themselves in Mr Carratt’s book, with a warning of more action ringing in their ears.

Rainford managed to squirm through for a third time after some frightening Boro defending, but once again he failed to find the goal, testing the side-netting instead.

A couple of useful penalty shouts followed, with Fernando Moke feeling the weight of a challenge in the home box and then Bukran seemingly bringing down Rainford, the ref wasn’t sold on either.

Boro pressed the issue a little more in the moments before the break. Steve Mallory lifted an effort high and wide and then the dancing feet of Moke provided a looping cross to the far post that just evaded the toe of Peterson.

The visitors continued to push on at the start of the second period and keeper Greg Hall had to be at his best when Peterson stooped to power a header on target.

But after that Glossop assumed control of the proceedings.

The highlight of the latter stages was an immaculate one-handed save from Bukran that somehow tipped away a vicious drive from Kieran Lugsden.

Bodies were placed on the line after this, with the back-line of Joel Dixon, Caine Winfarrah, Nathan Peat and especially Ryan Qualter digging deep into their resources.

It almost turned sour in the final minute when Glossop countered at great speed, but Dixon made up the ground and produced a superb saving tackle, just as the trigger was being pulled.

Another battling point will add further to Boro’s growing confidence following what has been a dark period for the club. And there could be more light at the end of the tunnel next weekend, as pointless basement boys New Mills pay a visit to Queensgate.