North Riding Cup woe for Newlands Park

editorial image

Newlands Park bowed out of the NRCFA Sunday Challenge Cup after a 1-0 home defeat to Thornaby Village in a quarter-final they dominated, the visiting keeper pullling off some first-class saves to take the Teessiders into the semis.

The division one title-chasers made a strong start to the cup-tie, Drew McCoubrey hitting the bar from only eight yards out and Stefan Moon’s shot saved superbly by the Thornaby keeper.

On the half-hour mark the visitors took the lead with a free-kick from 30 yards, their only shot at goal throughout the 90 minutes.

The second half continued in the same vein, the Thornaby keeper making a series of outstanding stops to maintain his team’s advantage.

Defender Leigh Watson missed the target from six yards in the closing moments while Liam Cooper also went close to levelling the scores.

Watson and Stew Bates, who started out wide but moved up front, were the star men for the hosts.

Trafalgar pulled clear at the top of the Scarborough News Sunday League first division with a 12-0 victory at basement club Itis Itis.

Neil Thomas led the way with five goals, while fellow striker Jack Pinder smacked in a hat-trick.

Centre-back Shaun Dodson netted twice, with Jamie Patterson and Col Jenkinson also getting their names on the scoresheet.

Man of the match for Traf was right-back Ben Salt.

A Cam Dobson hat-trick fired West Pier to an 8-2 home win against Whitby Wanderers, with centre-back Dan Jones and Travis Wood also scoring two apiece for the hosts.

Ryan Baldry was the other scorer for Pier, with Jones’ first goal the pick of the bunch, the centre-back rising to power a superb header back across the Whitby keeper and into the net after a well-flighted cross from young full-back Chris Mattinson.

Jones and fellow centre-half Dave Bell shared the man of the match award for Pier.

Ryan Tooth and Andrew Marshall were on target for the visitors.

Klosters scored five times in the first half as they cruised to a 5-2 win at Commercial.

Dan Peel netted from close range early on after Tom Scales’ effort was parried into his path by home keeper Jamie Fowler.

Debutant Luke Foster levelled things up soon afterwards after Klosters gave the ball away in their own half, but a neat finish from Scales restored their lead after 25 minutes.

Scott Sheldon burst forward from left-back to ram home the third goal after good work from Darren Shaun Walters and just 60 seconds later it was 4-1 when Peel lobbed in his second after a delicate through ball from Martyn Ferrey.

The fifth goal arrived just before the interval when Simon Rigg’s strike deflected into the path of Scales and he made no mistake.

The second half never really got going and the only goal arrived in the 89th minute when Foster swept home his second after a swift counter attack from the home side.

Sheldon was Klosters’ man of the match, with Gaz Davies and keeper Nav Ranji also impressing while Foster, Mike Hernandez and Mikey Day all played well for Commercial.

Trafalgar Reserves bounced back from their cup defeat to Newlands with a 3-1 home win against title rivals Heslerton to strengthen their position at the top of division two.

Mikey Barker opened the scoring 10 minutes before half-time, and the same player added a second after the break from a rebound after his penalty-kick had been saved.

Billy Bown’s header gave Heslerton hope and they piled on the pressure in search of a leveller but Al Wray’s neat 18-yard shot secured the win for Traf, but their day was spoiled when player-manager Andy Noon was sent off in the final action of the game for comments made towards the match official, who had also booked six Heslerton players and three of Trafalgar’s team.

Centre-back Damien Robinson was man of the match for Traf with yet another towering performance.

Striker Sean Naylor put in a five-star performance as second-placed Scarborough Sports Barrowcliff stormed to an 11-0 win at 10-man Newlands Park Reserves.

Man of the match Naylor scored five goals for Mick Ingle and Tony Walker’s visiting team, his fourth on the hour mark being the pick of the bunch, gaining possession on the edge of the box with his back to goal and turning superbly before volleying past the home keeper.

Zac Hansen and Josh Bowmaker also scored two goals apiece, with Chris Hannam and Sean Mennell also bagging a goal each.

West Riding boosted their promotion challenge with a 7-3 home win against Ayton.

Josh Young put Riding ahead after only two minutes, and a deflected shot from James Burrows, who was playing outfield as opposed to his usual role as keeper, made it 2-0, James Seymour adding a third before half-time.

Dan Pickard set up Tyson Stubbings to fire in from 20 yards in the 51st minute but Jamie Heritage restored Riding’s three-goal lead.

Pickard hammered in a cracking 20-yard shot to pull it back to 4-2, but a Burrows header and a second Seymour strike made the points safe for the hosts.

Stubbings added a third for Ayton, but Liam Buglass made it a magnificent 7-3 win for the hosts.

Max Beecroft was named as the man of the match for West Riding, while the in-form Pickard was the star man for Ayton.

Roscoes Bar grafted for a 3-2 home win against Hull Uni (Scarborough Campus).

The students took a fifth-minute lead with a fierce strike into the roof of the net, but Roscoes, playing in a 5-3-2 formation, soon levelled when left-sided wing-back Liam Rowley brought down a switched ball, beat his man on the left flank and finished low past the keeper.

This seemed to spark the hosts into life as they began to play some free-flowing football.

Roscoes won a free-kick which was whipped into the penalty area and although it was cleared to the edge of the box, Mark Kenyon half-volleyed through the bodies across the keeper into the bottom corner of the net.

In the second half the students seemed to have learned their lesson as they started quicker and struck to bring it back to 2-2.

Kenyon and Graeme Farrah were causing their defence problems, the latter netting a goal but was ruled offside, Kenyon hit the post, and with three minutes to go a corner was floated in and Jack Worthy’s bullet header was deflected into the net to give the home side all three points.

Liam Rowley was named as the man of the match as he worked hard all game and took his goal well.

Jake Faichney’s late goal earned Fylingdales Reserves a 1-1 home draw against Cayton Corinthians.

Teenager Jon Read put Cayton ahead and only a string of fine saves from the visiting keeper Brett Crowe, who was Cayton’s man of the match, maintained Corinthians’ lead.

Fylingdales piled on the pressure throughout and were rewarded two minutes from time when Faichney notched, Taylor Humble being named man of the match for ‘Dales.