Scarborough Athletic battle hard for home win

scarborough ath;etic vs winterton rangers
scarborough ath;etic vs winterton rangers

IT could well have been a day to forget for Scarborough Athletic, but they brushed away the obstacles and Winterton to collect all three points.

It started with the bad and could well have gone to the worse, but a battling display certainly cheered up the situation.

Boro started the day missing Ryan Blott and Daz Winters through suspension, keeper Ed Eley through tonsilitis and Matt Draper had to remain on the bench due to a chest infection.

The bench soon became a full sick bay, as boss Rudy Funk was soon hit by a case of sickness and Ant Lynam was hauled off just 12 minutes into the game with a badly cut eye.

Things usually do have a way of levelling themselves up, and the twist of fate did finally begin. Sometimes though you have to create your own luck.

The brilliance of Jimmy Ghaichem on the left created some space for Joe Naylor, but his effort was held by Winterton keeper Jack Ward.

There was more a few more neat interchanges as Curtis Bernard and Gary Hepples linked up, allowing Bill Law some freedom, but Ward was also a match for this effort.

The resulting corner sparked the opening goal, with another wicked delivery from Paddy Miller being guided home at the near post by Joe Naylor.

The biggest threat to a side always comes after you have scored, and right enough, soon after Winterton were level.

The Lincolnshire outfit clinically clicked into gear, with a swift move cutting through the Boro backline and Danny Frost slipped in to net.

That was enough action for one half and the players took a break from the scorching October heat before emerging for round two.

Bill Law almost kicked the second period off in style when he danced through a challenge or two, but once again Ward was on hand.

The game developed into more of a battle in the moments that followed, before a moment of true quality restored Boro’s advantage.

Denny Ingram whipped in a fine cross and Bernard rose beautifully to nod home off the bar.

Before you could blink the score was three, with Boro assuming complete control.

Ghaichem fed Bernard on the edge of the box, and before the striker could react, Hepples clipped the ball off his toe and into the back of the net.

That should have been that, but there was still a bit more nailbiting before the referee tooted his final whistle.

Boro debutant Mark Hales had exuded confidence throughout the game, but he did misjudge one punch. The ball fell straight to Liam Wilkin, but he managed to volley over an open goal.

Winterton did go one better in the final minute of the game.

A melee broke out in the box and Frost sweetly volleyed home via a number of different deflections.

Boro held firm in the closing stages, with skipper Tony Hackworth providing the defensive gel, which made sure of a welcome three-point haul.